Would this enclosure size good for fossorials?

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Hey fellas! Hope everyone is good.

Would this enclosure size be good for a fossorial that grows up to 6 inches?
Thx!
Acrylic Basketball Premium Display Cube | The Container Store

I know it may be a bit small.. but i figure i ask u guys.
Its hard to find a case that is 12x12x12
I want to avoid getting a 5 gallon tank

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Yes it will be just fine for a fossorial. I have 2 of those exact same enclosures. What fossorial tarantula are you going to put in there?

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Yes it will be just fine for a fossorial. I have 2 of those exact same enclosures. What fossorial tarantula are you going to put in there?
Chilobrachys sp electric blue. I know it wont be full grown until like 2 yrs from now.. but planning ahead.
You never had ur T's do a jack in box on ya in these enclosures? Im just concerned that i dont want to rip its roof off and piss it off.

Btw. Much respect for a marine! I salute you!
My family has a looooong history in the military so i respect anyone who is or was in the armed forces!

Last edited by a moderator:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
You don't have to take lid all the way off you can slide it so you just have a crack and drop in feeders. I don't ever take the top all the way off.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Reason why im concerned is cuz im planning to give it 6 inches of sub.. and if its only 10 inches tall then i dont want to disturb it too much. I do know these guys web the surface like crazy. Also the 10x10 surface space it has to burrow or wander around is not as much as let's say a 12x12..
I know it's just 2 extra inches, but figured i still ask someone here what they think.

You don't have to take lid all the way off you can slide it so you just have a crack and drop in feeders. I don't ever take the top all the way off.
Yeah i hear ya on that..
But just in case i ever need to do major maintenance.. at times i would rip the enclosure totally off to clean the water dish, Pull out boules, or wipe the walls down.. u know..
But mainly.. i want to make sure this guy has enough burrowing space in a 10x..
I dont like the 5 gallon tanks so im trying to avoid getting that if i can get away with this one from the container store.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Yeah i hear ya on that..
But just in case i ever need to do major maintenance.. at times i would rip the enclosure totally off to clean the water dish, Pull out boules, or wipe the walls down.. u know..
I dont like the 5 gallon tanks so im trying to avoid getting that if i can get away with this one from the container store.
I keep my fossorials in large kritter keepers. The basketball display cases are deeper than my kritter keepers and hold more substrate. I think those basketball display cases are awesome the problem I have with them is hobby lobby by my house does not carry them anymore.

Yeah i hear ya on that..
I take the lids all the way off when it's time to wipe down walls getting poop and anything else
Reason why im concerned is cuz im planning to give it 6 inches of sub.. and if its only 10 inches tall then i dont want to disturb it too much. I do know these guys web the surface like crazy. Also the 10x10 surface space it has to burrow or wander around is not as much as let's say a 12x12..
I know it's just 2 extra inches, but figured i still ask someone here what they think.
6" is plenty of substrate. Your right to leave space on top as your tarantula will kick substrate up and web it's enclosure.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Thank u man! Appreciate your wisdom!
No problem at all buddy. I love fossorials tarantulas so it's always good seeing someone else interested in keeping them as well. Send me pictures when you get your tarantula your particular tarantula is on my bucket list.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Will do! Will do! Its coming in next week! Ive always loved fossorials. I know its rare to see em and can be defensive. But i think itll make it much more special when they do come out!
Ive done tonnnns of research and i know im ready to deal with the rehousing and upkeep! Ill post pics on this thread when i get it!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Check aliexpress for acrlylic enclosures, you have pretty nice setups much cheaper than that, and they won´t need any significant mods, since they have ventilation holes, and propper doors.

For example something like this:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

And it comes with a thermometer hahahahaha xD

You will need to use some acrlylic bonding, but it will look much better imho.