Would this be suitable for a dune scorpion

Jamier65

Arachnopeon
IMG_0223.JPG I would still need to put a heat pad on one side not sure if that would be okay or not.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I would probably switch to a mixture of sand and excavator clay that is heavily packed. Provide a minimum of 5 inches as they enjoy burrowing (I believe)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Alright would you say that tank is big enough for a dune scorpion
Yes, its big enough.
H. arizonensis is a tunnel expert, digging out intricate tunnel systems, in a short time.
A mix of sand and excavator clay is what I have in my setups. Allow the mix to completely dry out before introducing your scorpion. Have a water dish available, I've seen mine drink on occasion.
They like it warm, desert species, 24°-29°C is a typical range. Personally, I don't use heat mats. If you have to use one, place on the end just above the substrate surface. Regulate the temperature w/h a thermostat to avoid overheating the enclosure.
Photo of a setup and an excavator clay kit. H.arizoensis#1.jpg Clay kit.jpg

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
@Red Eunice negative side effect to introducing this species to its new rehouse before the substrate completely dries up? I just re did mine. im concerned maybe I put him in there too soon. he I hasn't attempted to start any burrows its been about 3 days, he just sits out in the open kinda lazy and sluggish, ( its pretty fat and pre molt looking) but not sure if him not burrowing is a sign of the substrate not dry enough for him to do so yet

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
@Red Eunice negative side effect to introducing this species to its new rehouse before the substrate completely dries up? I just re did mine. im concerned maybe I put him in there too soon. he I hasn't attempted to start any burrows its been about 3 days, he just sits out in the open kinda lazy and sluggish, ( its pretty fat and pre molt looking) but not sure if him not burrowing is a sign of the substrate not dry enough for him to do so yet
@Collin Clary maybe you can chime in on this for me? anybody lol

Stugy

Arachnolord
Yes, its big enough.
H. arizonensis is a tunnel expert, digging out intricate tunnel systems, in a short time.
A mix of sand and excavator clay is what I have in my setups. Allow the mix to completely dry out before introducing your scorpion. Have a water dish available, I've seen mine drink on occasion.
They like it warm, desert species, 24°-29°C is a typical range. Personally, I don't use heat mats. If you have to use one, place on the end just above the substrate surface. Regulate the temperature w/h a thermostat to avoid overheating the enclosure.
Photo of a setup and an excavator clay kit. View attachment 234123 View attachment 234124
what would be a good sand-clay ratio for digging?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I really can't say, I've had mine about 6 months and the substrate was totally dry beforehand.
Perhaps offer a hide until the substrate dries out may help. Especially if its premolt, I believe these molt in the burrow and the hide will offer security. Idk, only suggestion I can offer.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Mine are 40/60 sand/clay mix. I'll reverse the ratio next time around.
thanks. I'll try that when I get home. I was dumb enough to use pure clay and my DHS hasn't been able to dig into it. I hope she'll like the newer substrate when I'm done.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Here's what I just set mine up with. I have a bigger peice of bark he can use as a hide. But I tried using small prices and pre starting burrow for him to encourage him to start his own. But so far no luck maybe I'll just throw the hide back in

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This is why I despise common names.

@Jamier65 the common name "Dune Scorpion" refers to Smeringurus mesaensis. I am seeing advice in here for keeping a Giant Desert Hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis).

So my question is what are you actually getting @Jamier65 ?

@Red Eunice @ArachnoDrew If he is getting S. mesaensis then the set up will likely be altered somewhat.

Avicularia Kael

Arachnopeon
Yes, its big enough.
Photo of a setup and an excavator clay kit. View attachment 234123 View attachment 234124
Dune scorpions are S. mesaensis. They also dig though.