would like to test a theory..

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
question.. if you provide the proper setup.. aka right humid/temp/feeding...

if a P. Audax has established a web/hide... and you have an opening in the container..

will the spider stay in the container? if it left... would it return to a place where it was getting food/water etc?

or would it basically "forget" and wander away and make it on its own?

if it has no real reason to wander... would it?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hard to say. They do roam around a bit while hunting during the day but return to their hide at night. I don't know, however, if they maintain only one hide or several.

There are other species that you could certainly keep "free range" like that. Most cobweb/tangleweb spiders, or orb-weavers would probably stay where you put them if the setup was really right.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of the wild hides I've found are used during the night repeatedly I believe these are a territorial species, that will guard and stay near their own nest (unless male) a good way to test this would be a very large terrarrium and find out if it uses the same hide every night or constructs a new one. the larger the terrarrium in a contained enviroment (or even a sealed room) the higher probability for a confirmed answer, where as if its smaller the spider si inadvertantly forced back to the same spot every night.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pwilson, You'd have to fire the exterminator first ! {D{D

:cool:Keep us updated!

Terry

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, Pwilson....now that people have voted for you to keep the little one, you might as well experiment with him! :)

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
thought id update.. went almost a week with the opening in the top of the container and he just wandered around and didnt go anywhere... checked on him today and the container is empty.. so hes loose in my house..

will check once it gets dark to see if he came back..

haha

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Paul, Paul, Paul. I told you he is out looking for his mommy. :)

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
lol i found him chilling in my shower today... then he ran off and is hiding somewhere.. not making a huge attempt at recapturing him