Would like to introduce myself and my first T.

txgsxr

Arachnopeon
Well first my name is Tony and after working with reptiles for over 25 years. I have got my first T, I picked up a baby Avicularia sp. "Peru Purple" T. I have always like them but never got one until now. Only problem I see is shes to small to handle right now and its driving me nuts. lol

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations! It's likely to be the first of many, MANY more.

However, why is it driving you nuts that you can't handle it?

A lot of people will tell you that there's no need to handle. It gives the T no benefit, and it gives you none, either. It's just a chance for one or the both of you to get injured.

In any case, enjoy watching it grow! :)

txgsxr

Arachnopeon
Well shes so small right now, I dont want to stress her out. I guess ill give her a month or so to get a little larger and use to being here.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

How small is small? A month will probably only yield you one molt and therefore it won't gain that much size, so if you are worried because of the size you might need to wait a few months/ molts.

As far as handling, it is a hot topic around here and as Kori said it doesn't benefit the T, but does create a situation for both of you to be injured. That said it is a personal preference and choice to handle and is something that we do with ours every once in awhile, but not on a daily/ regular basis. Some seem to be less stressed by it than others, but I have noticed that our Avicularia spiderlings and juvies seem to be the most stressed by it. Since all Ts are different, that does not necessarily mean that yours will be.

Once again, welcome to the forum and the hobby! :D

txgsxr

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I dont know but im so use to dealing with my snakes when it comes to holding. She is very small, shes not bigger then the 1/4 crickets that i got to feed her. And with my snakes I give them about a month or two so they get use to being here and good with the home they are in before I handle them.

Not sure of the growth rate for Ts so not sure how much a month or two will make. But as with my snakes I put their needs before my need to handle them. I dont want to stress them out but the older one they had at the expo seem to be good with being held.

But then again I understand that as with snakes, they never tame but only let you hold them and that can change from time to time.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards and hobby..

If you don't mind me asking.. What part of Tx are you located?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I dont know but im so use to dealing with my snakes when it comes to holding. She is very small, shes not bigger then the 1/4 crickets that i got to feed her. And with my snakes I give them about a month or two so they get use to being here and good with the home they are in before I handle them.

Not sure of the growth rate for Ts so not sure how much a month or two will make. But as with my snakes I put their needs before my need to handle them. I dont want to stress them out but the older one they had at the expo seem to be good with being held.

But then again I understand that as with snakes, they never tame but only let you hold them and that can change from time to time.
Growth rate is different for each T, due to the conditions and environment it is kept in. The warmer they are kept and the more they are fed, the faster they will grow. We don't powerfeed(something you could research a bit if you want it to grow faster), so with our Avicularia slings we saw about a molt a month at the size yours is and still had pretty fast growth in the warmer months. I can't tell you at what size the growth slowed down, as we don't try and keep measurements of them, but it did once the adult coloring started to show.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Dang.. Does no one where I live know about AB or even Ts... Geeze! {D
LOL... Tommy, people in far away East Texas know about Ts when they run across the road at mating season...

To the OP... your new sling sounds small, as well. The tiny ones (and even juvies) are FAST. If you want a handleable T, go bigger, and slower (IMO). I don't handle my little bitty ones. Of my now 59 ( 8-o) Ts, I only have one or two I even consider handling! I just got four adult G. rosea females, and have been warned one of them is a no-touchy.

I'm in the Dallas area as well, if you want to talk Ts, PM me. There's a local club here, too, so I am sure there are plenty of people with Ts that can help corrupt, er, help fuel your passion further!

Marga

txgsxr

Arachnopeon
Growth rate is different for each T, due to the conditions and environment it is kept in. The warmer they are kept and the more they are fed, the faster they will grow. We don't powerfeed(something you could research a bit if you want it to grow faster), so with our Avicularia slings we saw about a molt a month at the size yours is and still had pretty fast growth in the warmer months. I can't tell you at what size the growth slowed down, as we don't try and keep measurements of them, but it did once the adult coloring started to show.
I never power feed, working with reptiles i understand the damage that is done with it. And as far as molts and conditions that shes in now, I can tell shes had one due to finding it in the cup she came in.

I have her in a heat and humidity controlled room. Its stays from 80 day time and 75 at night with a 65% humidity level.

LOL... Tommy, people in far away East Texas know about Ts when they run across the road at mating season...

To the OP... your new sling sounds small, as well. The tiny ones (and even juvies) are FAST. If you want a handleable T, go bigger, and slower (IMO). I don't handle my little bitty ones. Of my now 59 ( 8-o) Ts, I only have one or two I even consider handling! I just got four adult G. rosea females, and have been warned one of them is a no-touchy.

I'm in the Dallas area as well, if you want to talk Ts, PM me. There's a local club here, too, so I am sure there are plenty of people with Ts that can help corrupt, er, help fuel your passion further!

Marga

Thanks, I was thinking that due to speed and size I should leave her alone for awhile. Im thinking about going back and checking on one of the larger ones. So im able to handle it.

I know im going to be hooked, got the same feeling the first time I bought my first snake. And with these, room is not a problem. lol