Would like an opinion

sjk123

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I have been given an opportunity to purchase a phormictopus auratus. It seems like a really interesting and beautiful spider. This individual has supposedly been sexed as a female and is approximately 4” in size. The price I have been given is 40$. My primary concern is it ending up being a male. Would you consider this to be a fair price?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hello,
I have been given an opportunity to purchase a phormictopus auratus. It seems like a really interesting and beautiful spider. This individual has supposedly been sexed as a female and is approximately 4” in size. The price I have been given is 40$. My primary concern is it ending up being a male. Would you consider this to be a fair price?
If male you could get your money back when it matures. Breeders are always looking for males.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
I'd say that's a good price, and yes you can always pass on for breeding if it turns out to be male.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hello,
Do you know if it's wild caught or captive bred?

Wild caught sell for cheaper and for good reason. It could be harboring parasites but not 100%. $40 is a great price but ask more questions for the seller.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
$40 for a female P. auratus is way too good of a deal and I would recommend getting it.

Do you know if it's wild caught or captive bred?

Wild caught sell for cheaper and for good reason. It could be harboring parasites but not 100%. $40 is a great price but ask more questions for the seller.
Phormictopus species haven't been imported for ages in terms of WC, unless there was a WC import I was not aware of.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For a 4in (and if it truly is a confirmed female) that is an incredible deal!! Where is the person from whos selling it, that could tell you a lot, about why the price is so low, and or if what they say is likely true?

but if it was me, that prices kinda seems oddly, way too good to be true.... I would 100% request picture confirmation that this is truly a female (either clear ventral photos, and photos of a molt showing the spermathecae)

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Agreed that price seems to good to be true. I'd say go for it, maybe ask for pictures first to make sure the spider is alive.

Is this a craigslist find or what? I'd definitely confirm species here if you do in fact get it. Although with an auratus it should be pretty obvious I suppose.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
$40 for a female P. auratus is way too good of a deal and I would recommend getting it.

Phormictopus species haven't been imported for ages in terms of WC, unless there was a WC import I was not aware of.
Yeah I never seen WC Phormictopus species either. I'm just leary of the $40 for a 4 inch specimen. It's probably more than likely legit but I would be asking more questions to the seller.

sjk123

Arachnopeon
As one of you guessed, its a Craigslist ad. He said he got it as a sling and needs to downsize his collection.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
As one of you guessed, its a Craigslist ad. He said he got it as a sling and needs to downsize his collection.
Alot of times you can score great deals off of CL. I did myself with a 3 inch confirmed female A. chalcodes captive bred and it's enclosure.

That's what I found out with who I bought it from is they were down sizing. They didn't want nor know how to ship one that size to someone. It was easier to just sell a little bit cheaper.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@sjk123 Well craiglist can go both ways, often times there are incredible deals, but some times there are scams (sometimes CL people dont know how to actually sex and think that size determines sex). Can you post the link to the ad, if it has pictures? Or can you get pictures.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
@sjk123 <snip> Can you post the link to the ad, if it has pictures? Or can you get pictures.
ADMIN NOTE:

This is NOT allowed. Users are not allowed to post links to ads in the discussions forums.

If you want certain information that is not allowed to be posted in the public forums, there is always the option of starting a private conversation with the user. ;)

Debby

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
ADMIN NOTE:

This is NOT allowed. Users are not allowed to post links to ads in the discussions forums.

If you want certain information that is not allowed to be posted in the public forums, there is always the option of starting a private conversation with the user. ;)

Debby
Oh right, sorry I forgot!! Thanks Debby, my bad!!

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Tbh that's a good deal even for a male . Slings are usually more than that here

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Male or not I'd buy it. At four inches it would still most likely have a couple years before it matured.