Would it be okay to let my jumper go?

scrip7ki77y

Arachnopeon
So, I joined this forum because there was so much I didn't know about spiders~! And I wanted to save this little jumper spider before my gram squashed him(don't hate, ppl). I told her I would release him in the spring after the snow melted.
It's getting really close to spring here, and I'm kinda hesitating because I'm not sure if he'll be ok. He's so sweet~! He hasn't bitten me, and he jumps on my hands and stuff and it's like he has a teenie little personality. I don't want to just let him go if he'll be scared or won't be able to survive, but also I wouldn't want to keep him only to have him live his life out in captivity. I would feel so bad for the thing(and I would sooo cry for days).

Totally need some advice here :(

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's pretty impossible for a spider to be 'scared' in the sense that people can be. The choice is with you. There's nothing wrong with keeping a spider, nor is there anything wrong with letting it go. In the end, you will only do what you really want to do.

If you release it, make sure it's either on a wall with plenty of cracks and crevices or on a fence.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you let it go, it will survive. let him go andhe will do what he was hatched to do. :)

Billdolfski

Arachnopeon
Yeah... if you captured it where you live, then it's going to be quite fine in that environment... set it free. Then again, if you want to keep and feed the little bugger, you can do that too.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would let it go. I caught one over the summer and today for some reason it was no longer living. I did everything that I was supposed to do but I think he was meant to be outside.

scrip7ki77y

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone~! :worship: I'll put him in the garden or something :)

edit:
There's a fence in the garden

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would let it go. I caught one over the summer and today for some reason it was no longer living. I did everything that I was supposed to do but I think he was meant to be outside.
In areas where it gets really cold during the winter months, the spiders will need to hibernate. This slows down their metabolism and makes them live longer. The winter hibernation is part of their life rhythm. Most true spiders that hibernate becomes adult during their second summer.

If the spider is brought indoors, to a warm climate, their winter hibernation is taken away. This will probably shorten the spiders life span by several months. They are supposed to be "on hold" during the winter.

If you want the spiders to live a normal life, only keep them indoors during the summer.

I hope I made sense :rolleyes:

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I brought mine in over the winter. It was just slightly more inclined to stay in it's web-purse.
If course, winters in Texas don't count for much.