Would it be ok to ....

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I've been lurking around the boards as a guest for years!
Not lurking hard enough if you thought this community is going to be like "Yeah! Do that! Sounds great!"

Not even if there were no feeders available in a 200 mile radius.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Here's an idea. What about frying the T up and eating it? Maybe roll it in sugar or garlic like they apparently do in Cambodia. Or kick it up a notch and give it some American flair by dunking it in barbecue sauce. BAM.

According to a 2016 article at Foodandwine.com Ts are a popular treat/ delicacy in Cambodia.

Hmm I wonder what wine you would serve?

With a G. rosea it would have to be a cheeky rose. And with G. porteri being junior synonymous with G. rosea in the wild, it would be the same wine.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Mating scenario is different, yes that is how it goes down in the wild. I just can't even imagine throwing my one mature male to one of his neighbors. I haven't been keeping long enough to have a female on it's way out. I'm glad the op's T. albo passed peacefully on its own before getting eaten alive and probably posted on YouTube.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Dog-no
Neighbor-maybe
I also wouldn’t keep a tiger. Maybe if I did I’d feed a pig to it. I feed frozen thawed to my snakes but once in a while I have to do live if it’s a picky eater. Morality is what allows us to make these decisions. A tarantula is not a dog. Another tarantula is not a tiger.

I wouldn’t use a tarantula as a feeder. I don’t advocate doing it or recommend it. But I have seen people feed old mm to other species. What if it has no pedipalps? I don’t recommend it but chastising someone for asking and questioning the legitimacy of the fact that their adult T is dying isn’t helpful
Let me rephrase that.....would you feed a magician to a tiger? :rofl:

3degrees

Arachnopeon
Mating scenario is different, yes that is how it goes down in the wild. I just can't even imagine throwing my one mature male to one of his neighbors. I haven't been keeping long enough to have a female on it's way out. I'm glad the op's T. albo passed peacefully on its own before getting eaten alive and probably posted on YouTube.
Buddy I actually care for my animals, its was a legitimate question that I couldn't find on the boards.
I would never post stuff like that on YouTube.
As for the other moronic people piping up, my question has been answered adequately by some more rounded human beings that can actually see I wasn't being sadistic or an a hole.

Can an admin close the post or whatever as fed up of the beeps with dumb ass comments!

BTW thanks to everybody who saw that this was a legitimate question and didn't just jump on the hate wagon!

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Buddy I actually care for my animals, its was a legitimate question that I couldn't find on the boards.
I would never post stuff like that on YouTube.
As for the other moronic people piping up, my question has been answered adequately by some more rounded human beings that can actually see I wasn't being sadistic or an a hole.

Can an admin close the post or whatever as fed up of the beeps with dumb ass comments!

BTW thanks to everybody who saw that this was a legitimate question and didn't just jump on the hate wagon!
You couldn't find anyone asking if they could feed their beloved pet to their other beloved pet? Shocker!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I don't really see this as a moral issue unless one puts greater value on a T over all other feeder animals. The trade requires us to feed living things to living things, so if doing to a hopper or roach is okay, I don't see it as a moral issue other than "I like Ts more than feeder animals"
It's still feeding, but maybe I'm just a nihilist who has already had enough existential dread

AshtheSpider

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately me and the tarantula have never really had a connection
She hated playing fetch and when I tried taking her for a walk.... wow
As for sociopathic, ..... your mad even suggesting that.
Do you hold a funeral every time you stand on an ant?

As for some of the other comments on why she is dying,
I think it's because I changed her diet to crisps and lemonade.

This was a perfectly reasonable question and I've got responses like this, can see why alot of new members don't post a 2nd time!

Some of you guys are complete bell ends.

Oh BTW she's died during the night so will be having a cremation and wake later in the week, feel free to private message me for details on location and time.
Alright people my dog died his name was beef and I’ll feed him to the fox in my yard 😃 also I’m playing fetch with my fish and after that I’m gonna walk my plant

@thatveganteacher!?! But in general spiders are carnivores also tarantulas don’t have the brain to love (much less play fetch) ALSO a walk i really hope that’s sarcasm because mites or anti bug stuff could’ve gotten on them and killed them. Third I can’t even talk back to that insult but just so you know I don’t host funerals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My real question is "Why do it?" Forget the morality or lack thereof question. I just can't really see that much benefit in it. As a cost-saver on account of the high-cost of crickets?

If there is no solid reason, the only answer I can think of is "Because it would be cool to watch." Which is a pretty poor reason, and I'm not saying that is the case here, but it isn't as if there are not people who are motivated by things they think would be cool to watch. I couldn't do it, unless there was some good reason to do it.

I don't even know if a spider getting ready to pass from old age suffers on the way out, I expect nobody knows but I can't help but think that would be a better way to go than being eaten so the "Put it out of its misery gambit" doesn't really work for me. And as I mentioned before, I don't see where there would be any significant benefit.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
My thought was that the OP was simply curious about whether it was an appropriate use of the dead spider. With feeder food available in most places, saving money seems to me unlikely the issue.

Some people recycle everything. Some recycle just some or none at all. Some people compost food waste, others throw it away.

Some hunters, particularly in past centuries, have tried to make use of as much of the animal as possible. During the Great Depression and in WWII, people had to do the same to scrape by.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
So I have an 8 year old female albo, she's is on her way out unfortunately.
She's had a good life as it goes for tarantulas!

So instead of just letting her go to waste would it? could It? be possible that i use her as a feeder for my p machalla...

Or should I just let her die in peace?
Personally I would wait until you are absolutely sure that the t is dead and learn to do a taxidermy. But that's just me. Some that oppose this idea think that seeing your dead pet in the house all dried up is nerve-racking or sad. To each their own.

Last edited:

3degrees

Arachnopeon
Personally I would wait until you are absolutely sure that the t is dead and learn to do a taxidermy. But that's just me. Some that oppose this idea think that seeing your dead pet in the house all dried up in nerve-racking or sad. To each their own.
Thats a pretty cool suggestion! But After seeing the dark den attempting it on a recent video, I don't think I could stomach cutting it open and scraping the insides out!
Again thank you for idea!
Might give it ago if any other tarantula of mine decides its time to kick the bucket!
Hopefully not for a while though!

Vulash

Arachnosquire
Well...

This was the very first thread I read on this particular board. There were some lows, not many highs, and it absolutely took turns I didn't expect given the title.

I'll just chime in and say I would not consider that with mine, and I've only owned them a brief time. I believe that a sort of attachment grows with anything you nurture over time. To me, that is the difference between our Ts and feeders from an emotional viewpoint.

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
who the hell wants to be eaten alive
Vorarephiles categorise themselves as Prey, Predator or Observer based on whether they get off on the idea of being eaten, being the one who's doing the eating, or just there to watch the scenario go down. There is a whole vore community out there. Thanks google for my daily education!!

Side note -
Im clutching at straws there but maybe the OP has a fetish that he may or may not be aware of and is potentially playing it out with a Tarantula,

Personally I would wait until you are absolutely sure that the t is dead and learn to do a taxidermy. But that's just me. Some that oppose this idea think that seeing your dead pet in the house all dried up is nerve-racking or sad. To each their own.
My 83 year old neighbour has 2 taxidermed dogs, named Brucie and Benjy - both dead around 20 years.
She still walks them 3 times a day. Pushes them to the dog park in the evening. The dogs there avoid her, I cant think why - she is just standing peacefully on the edge of the field with 2 petrified and mildly flaky looking dogs, both sitting upright in a flatbed baby stroller/ PERFECTLY NORMAL

I was on the bus once, and she got on. Yes she also takes them out with her to the supermarket etc. Benjy fell out of the stroller and I picked him him up for her after checking he was ok. For some reason ill never forget I took the opportunity to rub his head and call him a good boy