Would a Psalmopoeus Pulcher make a good beginner arboreal?

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
I found a breeder selling a P. Pulcher sling for Php 800 and I'm interested in getting it.

I own a 1 yr old B. Smithi, this is my first and current tarantula.

First time posting in Arachnoboards <3

UPDATE: Okay so I've been running around the internet for awhile, some people say P. Pulcher is more of an intermediate level while other people say it's a good beginner arboreal. This is so confusing :(

Last edited:

WarGodsXIII

Arachnopeon
too expensive bro, try negotiating it lower, you're a newbie, and me also, we DESERVE DISCOUNTS! \m/ hahahahahahah

WarGodsXIII

Arachnopeon
they are pricing P.Metallicas for $250, and P. Pulcher
$90, so here in our country lets say a P.metallica costs 1k php , 1.2k php for add shipping, so P. Pulcher should be around 600php, if its in your local region, you can do meet up, but if not, well 800 is okay for shipping

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From a B.smithi to a P.pulcher is a big step up. Ultimately, it is your choice of course, but i personally would get a fast terrestrial like GBB (C.cyaneopubescens) first, to get used to a bit of speed.
But that is just my point of view.
I love my P.pulcher, but they are fast when they want to be! I also have a Tapinauchenius, which is the fastest tarantula, according to most hobbyists, but i have more issues with Psalmopoeus because of their unpredictable bursts of speed, than with my Tappie. She will just race around her enclosure when spooked.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
too expensive bro, try negotiating it lower, you're a newbie, and me also, we DESERVE DISCOUNTS! \m/ hahahahahahah

Okay so you're also from the Philippines

Nah... I think 800 is a reasonable price. My B Smithi costs 1k, comes with a free enclosure.

The meetup is at Cartimar but I can have it shipped to my house for 250 Php

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, of course. Genus Psalmopoeus in general, aside for P.irminia (a bit more on the nervous side) are IMO the perfect arboreal genus for start.

(Genus) Psalmopoeus are hardy, amazing eaters, easy to care, "forgiving" to the "honest" errors made in good faith by beginners, and, quite frankly, aren't exactly those "fast as light high strung eight legged monsters" sometimes depicted. Aren't a S.calceatum.

The only reason why, in general, 'Avics' are considered the best arboreals for start is only because of their bite-free attitude, but the care, on that sense, require a particular "know how" and can lead to unwanted troubles if not provided. There's hundreds and hundreds of threads about that, but almost none for genus Psalmopoeus, on that sense.

I always suggest (except for P.irminia as I've said) a P.cambridgei as a perfect example of starter arboreal Theraphosidae; Yeah, the somewhat (especially for a NW) potent venom. Avoid bites, then. They are fast? Doesn't exists "slow" arboreals at the end.

If someone seeking arboreals is concerned by those issues then it's better to stick with that cheap red fish earned at the fair.

I can't help now about the price, for that they vary, but SysAdmin, the answer to your thread title IMO is: Yes ;-)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yes, of course. Genus Psalmopoeus in general, aside for P.irminia (a bit more on the nervous side) are IMO the perfect arboreal genus for start.

(Genus) Psalmopoeus are hardy, amazing eaters, easy to care, "forgiving" to the "honest" errors made in good faith by beginners, and, quite frankly, aren't exactly those "fast as light high strung eight legged monsters" sometimes depicted. Aren't a S.calceatum.

The only reason why, in general, 'Avics' are considered the best arboreals for start is only because of their bite-free attitude, but the care, on that sense, require a particular "know how" and can lead to unwanted troubles if not provided. There's hundreds and hundreds of threads about that, but almost none for genus Psalmopoeus, on that sense.

I always suggest (except for P.irminia as I've said) a P.cambridgei as a perfect example of starter arboreal Theraphosidae; Yeah, the somewhat (especially for a NW) potent venom. Avoid bites, then. They are fast? Doesn't exists "slow" arboreals at the end.

If someone seeking arboreals is concerned by those issues then it's better to stick with that cheap red fish earned at the fair.

I can't help now about the price, for that they vary, but SysAdmin, the answer to your thread title IMO is: Yes ;-)
I actually consider Iridopelma to be more ideal as they are hardy like Psalmopoeus but are more like Avicularia in terms of potency and attitude. But it's not exactly a common genus so a Psalmo would do the same job, though I think a faster terrestrial might be a better idea instead of going from a potato tarantula to a sassy acrobat. I would stay away from Tapinauchenius for the time being until you've had a Psalmo for a while as they really are that fast, but if you find a craving for more fast spiders then they are a nice genus/ OBT replacement.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I actually consider Iridopelma to be more ideal as they are hardy like Psalmopoeus but are more like Avicularia in terms of potency and attitude. But it's not exactly a common genus so a Psalmo would do the same job, though I think a faster terrestrial might be a better idea instead of going from a potato tarantula to a sassy acrobat. I would stay away from Tapinauchenius for the time being until you've had a Psalmo for a while as they really are that fast, but if you find a craving for more fast spiders then they are a nice genus/ OBT replacement.
Yeah, but as you said, genus Iridopelma 95 out of 100 are a "uh... uh, what?" while (genus) Psalmopoeus are (at least here where I live) always available and cheap, everyone knows those.

Genus Tapinauchenius are a whole different story, while IMO their attitude isn't high strung, their speed is otherwordly :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah, but as you said, genus Iridopelma 95 out of 100 are a "uh... uh, what?" while (genus) Psalmopoeus are (at least here where I live) always available and cheap, everyone knows those.

Genus Tapinauchenius are a whole different story, while IMO their attitude isn't high strung, their speed is otherwordly :)
Should meet my group of T.gigas, my mature female is pretty laid back as far as Taps go but my other ones try to bite me pretty often or just try to take off. Granted the bites from what I've read aren't strong but they give me more trouble than my OWs do. Granted I've never owned a Psalmo because I felt T.gigas met my fast NW spider needs.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I used Tapinauchenius only as a reference, definetely not as a good first arboreal.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I used Tapinauchenius only as a reference, definetely not as a good first arboreal.
I only referred to Taps as another common and cheap aboreal genus since I was talking about common aboreal spiders, I never read in detail every post in threads so it wasn't a barb aimed at you.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Should meet my group of T.gigas, my mature female is pretty laid back as far as Taps go but my other ones try to bite me pretty often or just try to take off. Granted the bites from what I've read aren't strong but they give me more trouble than my OWs do. Granted I've never owned a Psalmo because I felt T.gigas met my fast NW spider needs.
Well of course temperament vary from specimen to specimen, as we know. For that reason, someone could end even with a sort of "high strung" G.pulchripes, no matter.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well of course temperament vary from specimen to specimen, as we know. For that reason, someone could end even with a sort of "high strung" G.pulchripes, no matter.
Granted T.gigas is also a bit of an oddball of the group as they are rather large, hairy, aren't very metallic and can be defensive. Though I would say on average a Tap is more "on edge" than most species so something that may be more defensive like a Psalmo would be a better fit for most people than constantly loosing Taps or accidentally killing Avics.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I only referred to Taps as another common and cheap aboreal genus since I was talking about common aboreal spiders, I never read inthey'ail every post in threads so it wasn't a barb aimed at you.
Thank you for the clarification,appreciate it!
As for cheap arboreals, Tapinauchenius is actually one of the more expensive T's here. Maybe because not many keep
them, since they aren't as flashy as Pokies. I prefer Tappies though, even if mine is slightly neurotic :D

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the clarification,appreciate it!
As for cheap arboreals, Tapinauchenius is actually one of the more expensive T's here. Maybe because not many keep
them, since they aren't as flashy as Pokies. I prefer Tappies though, even if mine is slightly neurotic :D
They seem to be more of a cheaper/mid tier genus here, most are in the $20-$45 dollar range last time I checked, except for some of the newer un-classified stuff that have entered/re-entered the market.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay so I've been running around the internet for awhile, some people say P. Pulcher is more of an intermediate level while other people say it's a good beginner arboreal. This is so confusing
Not in my opinion based on your very limited experience; I own this species.

WarGodsXIII

Arachnopeon
Okay so you're also from the Philippines

Nah... I think 800 is a reasonable price. My B Smithi costs 1k, comes with a free enclosure.

The meetup is at Cartimar but I can have it shipped to my house for 250 Php
no brooo, if you do meet ups dont go for 800, you can still negotiate it, 800's too high, but it's up to you.
Wait, 800 comes with free enclosure? If it does then go for it

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Psalmpoeus are fine as a beginner arboreal if you want to get into the more high strung tarantulas like Poecilotheria sooner.