Worst pet store housing yet

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
At first glance I thought that was a plant or something (excuse my color-blindness).

I thought there was a sling in there.....

No way did I think a big spider could be kept in that!!!

Thats like shipping tight!!! <edit>

Good grief šŸ„“

How hard is it to throw some sub and a spider in a KK?!!!!!
Honestly! Whenever I bring home an impulse buy, I just grab a KK, and throw in some substrate and a water dish. Takes 10 minutes tops....

It stepped away from the bowl for a minute but literally abandoned the worm for more just now.

View attachment 350726
Your E. murinus reminds me a lot of my Juvenile Chilobrachys huahini that I rescued 3 months ago. When I brought her home from my LPS, she was pretty skinny, and I had her in a Medium KK with a water dish. As soon as she found that dish, she drank out of it for 15 minutes straight. She also voraciously took down some crickets that I threw in with her after. So if thatā€™s any indication, your T is on its way to becoming fully healthy again. Nowadays, my C. huahini has a nice, plump abdomen, and is getting ready to molt soon.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Honestly! Whenever I bring home an impulse buy, I just grab a KK, and throw in some substrate and a water dish. Takes 10 minutes tops....
It doesn't even need to be an impulse buy...unless I'm scaping some large tank....they get an enclosure, substrate, a hide, moss(?) and a bottle cap!

Its so simple! Smh!

Honestly, I think they kept this one the way they received it! What a beautiful species too! Why do shops insist on getting fossorials and arboreals?! Makes no sense!

Should have a T. albo, a porteri....maybe a genic????

Always out on display!....if someone's looking at it...throw in a cricket!!!...better for business AND the spoods!

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
It doesn't even need to be an impulse buy...unless I'm scaping some large tank....they get an enclosure, substrate, a hide, moss(?) and a bottle cap!

Its so simple! Smh!

Honestly, I think they kept this one the way they received it! What a beautiful species too! Why do shops insist on getting fossorials and arboreals?! Makes no sense!

Should have a T. albo, a porteri....maybe a genic????
I honestly think that sometimes it can come down to people simply not knowing any better. Some people may think, ā€œHey it survived transit in here, so itā€™ll be fine until it sells.ā€

And why do shops insist on getting Arboreals and Fossorials instead of sticking to strictly Terrestrials? Simple. Cost. Many of the importers that sell to these shops import WC Ts (Avics especially) all the time, and theyā€™re sold wholesale for dirt cheap prices. The shop then sells the Ts individually at a profit. A considerable number of Ts that are commonly WC happen to be Fossorials and Arboreals. I already mentioned Avics, but A. seemanni, E. murinus, C. lividus, C. vonwirthi, etc. are all Arboreal or Fossorial Ts that are commonly sold in pet stores as WC Adults for $40 or less.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What sort of animal control deals with inverts?
Iā€™ve seen many cases across USA where they come in and take over exotics.

If you donā€™t alert them, youā€™ll never know.

It stepped away from the bowl for a minute but literally abandoned the worm for more just now.

View attachment 350726

Not surprised, Ts that are low on water wonā€™t necessarily eat.

As sad as it is, I doubt animal control would care enough to do anything for a couple Ts living in a pet shop.... :(
Iā€™m not in the business of letting doubts stop my actions. You alert the authorities. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cas S

Arachnoknight
and i thought the small deli cups with just coco fiber in them where bad, that thing couldn't even stretch its legs out

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Poor little guy :( . Those were appalling conditions that it was kept in...that's abuse and neglect plain and simple. I'm very glad that this tarantula is in a good home with an owner that will actually take care of it. It deeply saddens me that people treat animals, especially "lower" animals as disposable items and not living creatures.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
This story mad me real sad. Well done for saving the poor thing. How thirsty?! Who knows how long it was stuck in that thing for.
Hero of the week! It makes me even more sad that it will be replaced by another one though... what happened to that lobbying the pet shops thread?...

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Good job!

I know that rescuing them perpetuates the problem, but the story of the kid and the starfish comes to mind...

A man was walking down the beach, which was absolutely littered with starfish. He saw a child picking them up and throwing them back into the sea. The man remarked to the child, "What you are doing is futile, there are far too many washed ashore here, it won't make a difference!"

The child bent over, scooping up another starfish and tossed it into the water and said "It makes a difference to that one."

Yeah, it isn't quite the same situation, but still...that one you saved will live. So it made a difference to it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Good job!

I know that rescuing them perpetuates the problem, but the story of the kid and the starfish comes to mind...

A man was walking down the beach, which was absolutely littered with starfish. He saw a child picking them up and throwing them back into the sea. The man remarked to the child, "What you are doing is futile, there are far too many washed ashore here, it won't make a difference!"

The child bent over, scooping up another starfish and tossed it into the water and said "It makes a difference to that one."

Yeah, it isn't quite the same situation, but still...that one you saved will live. So it made a difference to it.

There is a good moral to that story, but as you stated it does perpetuate the problem. So yes, sadly their will be another one to replace it because that one was sold.

Lucky our local pet store wont sell them because the manager is scared of them. Then again the next city over has adult C. Lividus for sale.

aragogtheT

Arachnopeon
I bought Aragog, my first and only T, from someone I found who sells them. She was in this container. The guy was nice enough. But I felt so awful for Aragog. She lived on wood chips her entire life. It was adorable to watch her for the first time feel her current substrate (eco earth loose coconut). She touched the substrate with one leg, quickly pulled back in fear, then decided it felt nice and soft so she slowly put her leg down again.

Attachments

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I hope so!

It's abdomen was very small and shriveled when I got it but it's looking amazingly visibly healthier after just the meal and the drink!

View attachment 350895
Amazing how much vigor tarantulas have! Looks great! Photogenic too :)

Wouldn't have guessed in a million years it was under those conditions for God knows how long up until a few days ago!

Take pics while you can...this little lady going to burrow before you know it ;)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Iā€™m so glad that you got this spider; I couldnā€™t think of a nicer, more caring person for this spider to belong.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer