Worst pet store housing yet

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Decided to check out a new exotics shop and came across the worst housing i've ever seen in one.

I know we all have different opinions on pet store rescues, but if it means anything, I bought the E. murinus partially to trash the shop online. (If anyone is curious as to who they are, I will say). They had a big sign in the window saying that they prohibited video or photography inside.

Here's the E. murinus.

62B24F20-0624-4155-AD42-305D3E62B2A9.jpeg

And if you think THAT'S bad, they had avics housed in SHALLOWER containers, among similar horrors. I'm almost impressed, folks!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
In my opinion. You did the right thing by getting it out of those horrid conditions. Now let’s just hope it’s not too late and pulls through.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I’ve seen <edit> like this before at a local place in jersey, it pissed me off. Good on you though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
That poor thing....

My LPS does the same damn thing. And the worst part is, they used to keep them properly. The shop used to have two owners, but one of them left. I’ve got a good hunch that he was the one that specialized in Ts, as ever since he left, the care for the inverts has gone to shit.

One of the employees has tried to convince the owner to keep them into something more spacious, but he wouldn’t budge. The owner is honestly a nice guy, but this definitely shows that he cares more about business than the Ts, which in some aspects, is understandable. I understand that keeping them in deli cups makes them easier to display, and is good for storage, but I can’t imagine how stressed the Ts inside of them are....

Say what you want about ‘Pet Store Rescues’, but I’ve saved several Ts from that place, and I think you did the right thing by saving it. Hope he/she is doing alright!

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Of course pets should be housed better but our hobby is an ironic one. The majority of enthusiasts bash the shops that promote and agree with our love of animals and donate to PETA and the Humane Society who sponsor legislation to outlaw our own interests.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Decided to check out a new exotics shop and came across the worst housing i've ever seen in one.

I know we all have different opinions on pet store rescues, but if it means anything, I bought the E. murinus partially to trash the shop online. (If anyone is curious as to who they are, I will say). They had a big sign in the window saying that they prohibited video or photography inside.

Here's the E. murinus.

View attachment 350706

And if you think THAT'S bad, they had avics housed in SHALLOWER containers, among similar horrors. I'm almost impressed, folks!
That’s almost as bad as some Ts I saw baking away in the hot sun by a window recently ;)

You could trash a place without buying for future reference

No video etc SHADY

I’d call animal control, maybe they can rehome them?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
That’s almost as bad as some Ts I saw baking away in the hot sun by a window recently ;)

No video etc SHADY

As sad as it is, I doubt animal control would care enough to do anything for a couple Ts living in a pet shop.... :(

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
That is what they were housing it in?!
Oh, good god!

If that were a puppy, the authorities would be involved.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
At first glance I thought that was a plant or something (excuse my color-blindness).

I thought there was a sling in there.....

No way did I think a big spider could be kept in that!!!

Thats like shipping tight!!! <edit>

Good grief 🥴

How hard is it to throw some sub and a spider in a KK?!!!!!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron

No video etc SHADY

Yeah, I know about the purchasing thing but I thought photo evidence might help to emphasize the point.

What sort of animal control deals with inverts?[/QUOTE]

Spider seems to be doing well. Was quite thin so I gave it a decent sized hornworm. Which it's eating over it's *gasp!* water dish. 😊

38838E29-6266-4214-8479-2FCC5BBA0ED9.jpeg

Actually drinking now!

7E920D7D-409B-4FB7-BB0B-7000D34D50DE.jpeg

(This spider is my 26th and this is literally the second time i've ever seen one drink!)

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Actually drinking now!

View attachment 350721

(This spider is my 26th and this is literally the second time i've ever seen one drink!)
I'm under the impression only the most dehydrated of spoods will use the dish [For drinking purposes!]. Great signs though! A combo meal! :) Hornworm with a Water to drink.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Hooray! Please keep us updated! I'm so happy you were able to save her. There are people in the world who don't see 'bugs' as being 'real animals' and this translates into mistreatment because to them it's 'just a bug'. Seriously people are stupid and shouldn't be allowed near animals of any kind.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
That be some reeaalll thirst.

It stepped away from the bowl for a minute but literally abandoned the worm for more just now.

0A4E6D11-62D1-417C-83B2-2811CBB60A16.jpeg [/QUOTE]

At first glance I thought that was a plant or something (excuse my color-blindness).

I thought there was a sling in there.....

No way did I think a big spider could be kept in that!!!

Thats like shipping tight!!! <edit>

Good grief 🥴

How hard is it to throw some sub and a spider in a KK?!!!!!
It blows my mind, just how apathetic these places are. They spend SO MUCH to house reptiles and other things but won't do the bare minimum for T's. Which are one of the most low maintenance pets imaginable.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
It blows my mind, just how apathetic these places are. They spend SO MUCH to house reptiles and other things but won't do the bare minimum for T's. Which are one of the most low maintenance pets imaginable.
Also there are so many gorgeous "pet rocks"!!! 2" of sub in a $10 keeper you can KEEP USING!!. .

I mean that's like $.50 worth of substrate!!!

Water is FREE.
Crickets are "FREE"

Why would you get a hard-core fossorial you can't sell under the right conditions?!

😡