Worst case scenario ( bite )

louise f

Arachnoangel
Well i have been wondering a lot, and soo many times.

What if the worst case scenario happens, you get bitten by your T.

What would you do ? Try to get it of somehow or let it sit in your skin until it finished and let go itself ?

I have never got bitten before, and I`m not planning to in the near future:D
But i was just wondering a lot about it.

What`s your ideas about it dear friends ?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That is the million dollar question. I have never been bitten by any of my Tarantulas or stung by any of my Scorpions (knock on wood) but I know if it did happen it would be a freak accident since I do not handle them. Unfortunately I think even the best of us are likely to have a knee jerk reaction that might injure the spider. Most people are not able to withstand a sudden stab of pain without moving a muscle or reacting in any way.

My $0.02

louise f

Arachnoangel
That is the million dollar question. I have never been bitten by any of my Tarantulas or stung by any of my Scorpions (knock on wood) but I know if it did happen it would be a freak accident since I do not handle them. Unfortunately I think even the best of us are likely to have a knee jerk reaction that might injure the spider. Most people are not able to withstand a sudden stab of pain without moving a muscle or reacting in any way.

My $0.02
just to be clear i dont hold my spiders either :)
Was more thinking of if it bolts out of the enclosure and bite you. You can of cause always take precautions that it might make a run for it.
And you always have in your head that it can bite. But i think that i would have a shock anyway even how much prepared i am. And you`re
probably right about that even the best of us can`t prevent to react and maybe injure the spider.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Most of the time the bites your going to come across are defensive.. Quick in and out with a few minutes to days of pain from the venom depending on species..

Now in the event that the T mistook your finger for food or was really angry and held on I would suggest sliding a credit card under the T from the rear so that you can push the fangs out..

Pulling or freaking out in situations like this do much more harm than good.. I have a scar on the top of my hand from a Caiman to prove it...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If it sinks it's fangs in and won't let go, prying it off will probably result in either it holding on tighter, or biting your other hand as you try to pull it off. I've heard that spraying vinegar in the face/mouth of a reptile will make it let go of you, don't know of that would work for spiders.

The best plan is to avoid situations where your hands get too close or where you lose control of what's going on.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd let it finish its job if it holds, you risk possible injury to your T trying to pry it off or pulling its fangs out. Catch cup and brush.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hope that I will be able to hold still and act rationally. But in reality, I simply don't know if I can. Worst case scenario, I'll flick my hand and lose the spider :(
I just have to hope it will never become a real situation, both for the spider, and me.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I've heard that spraying vinegar in the face/mouth of a reptile will make it let go of you, don't know of that would work for spiders.
Thanks for the info. I never heard that before, pretty interesting. Indeed worth checking out if spiders could/can handle vinegars without getting damaged. ( of course I`m not gonna take a spider and try it out ) :angelic::)
I just really dont hope i will ever need something like that. And pray that i dont get bitten ever. Of course I`m always taking precaution, when doing rehouses and feedings and so on. :)

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i would mist it in the face(?) if it held on, waters not going to do anything.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ts don't like being sprayed by water. You could certainly keep a spray bottle of water, and one with vinegar too.

Of course if it's an Avic, it might just curl up its legs hahah

louise f

Arachnoangel
Ts don't like being sprayed by water. You could certainly keep a spray bottle of water, and one with vinegar too.

Of course if it's an Avic, it might just curl up its legs hahah
Wow that sounds like an episode of Adams family :D Or an vampire movie, now we just need the garlic necklace too. And thou shall be saved :angelic::D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I just graduated to Psalm's and Tapi's which aren't very fast so won't have to worry about this.:D

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Since I don't handle mine either that reduces my risk. But I have had a few cases during transfer of T's to new enclosures during my learning period where I was forced to put my hand in a spot to reduce any chance of the T falling to injury (or escaping) because the T chose to go the direction I didn't want. I do my transfers different now so this is less of a problem.

I don't own OW's so I don't have to think about whether to stick my hand out or not in those certain scenarios. I have been stung by Yellow Jackets, Hornets, Wasps, Bumblebees, etc. in the past so I am less scared of the venom for NW's than the thought of those fangs sinking into my skin.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, if that happens, my Viking friend, remember... the cold wind/environment of the North made Mans stronger, you wouldn't die, and you know. You will only lose your Theraphosidae virginity :p

louise f

Arachnoangel
Well, if that happens, my Viking friend, remember... the cold wind/environment of the North made Mans stronger, you wouldn't die, and you know. You will only lose your Theraphosidae virginity :p
Hahahaha dear friend. I almost peed my pants of laughting :rofl: :D

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Since I don't handle mine either that reduces my risk. But I have had a few cases during transfer of T's to new enclosures during my learning period where I was forced to put my hand in a spot to reduce any chance of the T falling to injury (or escaping) because the T chose to go the direction I didn't want. I do my transfers different now so this is less of a problem.

I don't own OW's so I don't have to think about whether to stick my hand out or not in those certain scenarios.

When you own OW's you learn to not put your hand out to stop or control them, as they're in panic mode and may bite anything moving towards them. The techniques are tighter with OW's; they're more unpredictable, prone to sudden explosions and bursts, and the price of mistakes and miscalculations is higher. That's all part of their survival strategy: confuse predators and make them pay if they get too close.

On the other hand, most NW's defense involves urticating hairs that can be thrown from a safe distance. Big difference.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Dont pull away. Almost impossible to do unless your expecting the bite.
Look at the way the fangs are pointed and you can see that any movement away from the front of a tarantula with its fangs in you will cause them to be much more in you, and you are also likely to be dragging the angry T out of the tank and towards yourself. At least with snakes its the difference between 20 bleeding pin holes and 20 stitches.

I would say if you got a feeding response bite then stop/return your hand + tarantula to the tank and turn it upside down or lift it up in the tank. Its likely to work out quickly that it hasnt grabbed a large prey item and will probably let go. Then, new/old world dependant, its going to fill your face with hairs or try to bite you several more times.

You would probably laugh at how cautious i am (if i can use a 10ft barge pole to put the deli cup over the OBT, i will) but out of all the horrible bitey creatures i have filled my home with over the last few years its only the budgie that bites me (until my T. stirmi is big enough to eat the horrid flappy poop machine.)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
to be clear i dont hold my spiders either
I know. I was merely creating a context for my reply is all.

As much as we can think and talk about this type of worst case scenario situation I really think that even the best of us may react out of instinct , especially if it was not expected. The whole primordial part of the brain and all that stuff.