Worst case scenario ( bite )

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
You are correct. I have been startled a couple of times when my E. campestratus, who seemed oblivious to me, would launch at my tongs during routine maintenance. The first time he did in fact go airborne due to my reaction. The second I was expecting it a bit more and was able to subdue my jerking reaction some, preventing a repeat performance of a flying spider. But he got tugged across the substrate. That supposedly mild-mannered species of mine had nothing over my LP and A genic when it comes to prey response. I would never place my hand within his range, and even if i was a handler, handling him is out of the question for me. It didn't help that he was in a smaller container at the time and I had to sometimes get in striking range...
Anyway, it is hard to FULLY prepare yourself for the unexpected, even of you expect it. The best you can do is remember what prompted the reaction and avoid it on the future. I learned after the second time to give him a feeder first to preoccupy himself with. He's since been rehoused and it isn't an issue anymore, though. I don't have to invade his personal space to do maintenance.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would agree with the misting. I always have little spray bottles next to my cups when I am doing maintenance and feeding for this reason.

Most Ts hate breezes and water so if I was stupid enough to get bit as I had my hands in an enclosure without being aware of the whereabouts of the T it may work to get them to bolt back into the tank.

Having said that though I have still to be bitten so I am not sure if it would actually work. But hey, worth trying.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Anyway, it is hard to FULLY prepare yourself for the unexpected, even of you expect it.
That is true, i have tried many times standing there and expect something particular and then something complete different happens instead, witch make me spooked the shit out every time.
But try to keep as calm as possible. The worst you can possibly do is panic.

Thanks for sharing that story friend. <3 Always nice to know others experiences :) BTW how`s it going with those little eggs you got from that Haplo sac :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I would just let it take its course, maybe drink a little extra water or gatorade, but it's not gonna do anything too bad being bitten by any T I have. Now ifmy centipede bit me I may take a trip to the doc if I started to feel really bad, I'd try to play it out as long as I could though, I hate hospitals

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That is true, i have tried many times standing there and expect something particular and then something complete different happens instead, witch make me spooked the shit out every time.
But try to keep as calm as possible. The worst you can possibly do is panic.

Thanks for sharing that story friend. <3 Always nice to know others experiences :) BTW how`s it going with those little eggs you got from that Haplo sac :)
It was, as I expected, a fail. I asked around, the spider that made the sac was not wild caught, so it was doomed from the start. It was interesting to experiment with, though.

Paul Larke

Arachnopeon
That is the million dollar question. I have never been bitten by any of my Tarantulas or stung by any of my Scorpions (knock on wood) but I know if it did happen it would be a freak accident since I do not handle them. Unfortunately I think even the best of us are likely to have a knee jerk reaction that might injure the spider. Most people are not able to withstand a sudden stab of pain without moving a muscle or reacting in any way.

My $0.02
I completely agree. I was doing some spot cleaning in my B. Smithi enclosure a few weeks ago and she bolted towards the tongs and wouldn't let go. I assume she thought it may be food, but it was the fastest I'd ever seen her move. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me, even though she was only attacking the tongs. If that had been my finger I think my reaction may have been close to temporary hysteria. It's amazing how swift they can be when they want to be.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I completely agree. I was doing some spot cleaning in my B. Smithi enclosure a few weeks ago and she bolted towards the tongs and wouldn't let go. I assume she thought it may be food, but it was the fastest I'd ever seen her move. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me, even though she was only attacking the tongs. If that had been my finger I think my reaction may have been close to temporary hysteria. It's amazing how swift they can be when they want to be.
Seems like B. smithi tries to be the fastest of the NW Terrestrials. Mine is also scary fast and even with the lid closed it can surprise me.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Im honestly more worried about getting hairs in my eyes than a bite. My first T should be arriving some time this week and i have an irrational fear that it will kick hairs at me and some how they will make their way out of the tank through the wholes and end up in my eyes... or my dog's lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Im honestly more worried about getting hairs in my eyes than a bite. My first T should be arriving some time this week and i have an irrational fear that it will kick hairs at me and some how they will make their way out of the tank through the wholes and end up in my eyes... or my dog's lol
Just keep arms length between you and the enclosure and spider, don't blow or wave your hands while it is open and you'll be fine. If you're really worried, get protective glasses, the ones they use in assembling jobs. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I prefer to keep species without the hairs. I recently paired groups of B. boehmei and X. immanis. The hairs are still in my arms from over 2 weeks ago.

Although hard to deal with. Beats being nailed by Asian or African :vamp:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I always drop feeders in, so tongs aren't an issue. I have learned to feed first so they are occupied while I refill bowls, spot clean, etc.. I figure this must help, never been haired by one. My GBB is my only T that will sometimes drop her feeder and rush over to see what else I am doing in her tank.

As far as bites go -- I've only been bitten by parrots (esp one that simply wouldn't let go) so I learned to simply freeze.

Btw, with parrots (in case anyone is interested) the best way to make them let go to act the opposite of prey and push area they are biting further into their beaks -- do not pull away which will only make them dig in deeper. Pushing into their beak/mouth confuses them (and is probably uncomfortable) and they let go then.
I hope to never be bit by a T and have no idea if a similar non-prey reaction would help or not. Esp since their bite may be intended for an assumed predator....

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I've been very lucky so far that I've not even come close to a bite by any Ts. Especially considering my P. fasciata has shown teleportation speed.
Hopefully I will react the same I have in the past when other animals bit me. I just hold still. Though, there is a huge difference between a lizard or parrot bite and a tarantula bite.