Worse sling ever kept?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
i am bouncing off of EurlersK thread. What is the worse sling species you have ever kept? For me it's the Cyriocosmus elegans. It was about 1/8 in when I got it. It ate the next day and vanished. Now it is two moths later. I decided to down grade its enclosure back to a vial. Its abdomen was fairly small. It ate and has burrow down and sealed off the entrance. I'm not quite sure how you feed a sling that seals itself off immediately? I'm hoping for a behavior change when it matures.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ami sp columbia, got a couple as freebies over the last few months, poor appetites, super small, bleh. my largest ive had for a while now is just about 1/2" after 4 or so molts.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So far (and I hate to say this because I think they're neato) the B. albopilosum sling has been a pet hole every step of the way. I do like to occasionally see my slings. Even at night, when I'm watching the others with a red light, it doesn't come out. I may just have a super reclusive specimen, or the behavior may change once it gets bigger. We'll see.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have 11 currently that I would call slings. The b Smithis are my worst eaters and slowest growing. The 3 h gigas are in the dirt and hard to see if they have eaten or much of anything.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
C. argentinense
Extremely, extremely fragile and not the best eaters. They require a very narrow range of humidity as slings. Luckily they grow fairly quickly, but my time keeping them as a sling was nothing but stressful.

cold blood

Staff member
1. H. mac. Small, slow growing, delicate and always hiding. And they don't look like much either.

2. B. albiceps. Stupidly slow grower, never ate, fasted constantly...once as a 1/2" sling, it went 177 days without eating.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Worth the effort though, cause they're beastly eaters when they grow up, and they're super nice looking.

Illmannered1

Arachnopeon
I have 11 slings, both my A. seemanni and my G. pulchripes sealed themselves underground after their first feeding. I'm considering giving one to my brother in law, but I don't know how I would feel about given him a pet container of dirt.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
That's funny, because of all the Brachypelma I have raised, my B. smithi was the fastest grower and best eater....lol She's like 5" and maybe 4 years old.
Yeah I never got why people say the smithis are "excrutiatingly slow growers" five or six years is NOT THAT LONG. Okay, yeah, it's really long, but the fastest growers usually take like two or three years apparently, so it's not that much *longer

cold blood

Staff member
I have 11 slings, both my A. seemanni and my G. pulchripes sealed themselves underground after their first feeding. I'm considering giving one to my brother in law, but I don't know how I would feel about given him a pet container of dirt.
They do this when the enclosure is too large.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I used to hate my H.sp Colombia large slings and came very close to selling them.. Tiny little buggers with a meek demeanor..

Now that they have put on an inch they are absolute beasts when it comes to feeding and I can't imagine not owning one.. I actually picked up another sub adult female earlier this eveneing...

boina

Lady of the mites
E. campestratus.
It came as a 2i freebie with my very first online order of Ts and I was absolutely NOT ready for it. I unwrapped it and had a panic attack. Then I proceded to house it in a much to large box where it prompty burried itself, never ate and never grew... well, nearly never. It did grow eventually, but it took years off my life in stress.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Euathlus sp. red...... hands down, the hardest sling I've ever cared for! Got it at 1/8 inch. It would eat cricket legs occassionally, but most of the time just ignored them. It eventually died, after about a year of remaining the exact same size and no molts. As cute as it was, it was a pain to keep that sling!

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah I never got why people say the smithis are "excrutiatingly slow growers" five or six years is NOT THAT LONG. Okay, yeah, it's really long, but the fastest growers usually take like two or three years apparently, so it's not that much *longer
My b albo and vagans blew my two Smithis away. My Emilia is the second slowest grower, but not like the smithis. The emilia also has a better feeding response. I dont mind any of my slings, but b Smithi's are the least fun at this stage.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B albiceps for all the reason mention by @cold blood but I'd also like to add E weijenberghi it's grown to half inch and then stopped completely

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Tapinauchenius gigas!!!!

I've had this sling since like, late November last year and it has eaten (and tackled live prey as well) often... enough... but it hasn't molted, hasn't grown, no nothing. It's pretty tiny too. :/

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Heterothele gabonensis for tarantulas, of the three that I had two died because they refused to eat. For trapdoors Cyclocosmia torreya, goes eight months without eating and never molts for the obvious reason, just saw it several weeks ago and after a year it's still 1/8th inch.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Right now it's my N. tripepii. I've heard they're fast growers but mine has been anything but...no molts yet, barely eats, and I never see it because it constructed an underground labyrinth. Which stinks because it's one of the Ts I was most excited to own...

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
N. chromatus. little stinker wont eat or grow. I had it in a deli cup for a long time and finally moved it into a smaller condiment cup, I though this would help it feel more secure and it might eat but nope. :/ even my brachy sling is growing faster than this one. :confused: