Worried

Mara

Arachnopeon
Came home today to find my Euathlus truculentus in a rather bad shape.

She has been active since I got her, always in a different spot in her tank. The lately she hasn't been climbing as much as she used to, though. Mostly she has been hanging out on top of her hide or huddled up against the glass somewhere. When I got home today she was sitting more huddled than usual, looking like she was in a death curl more than anything else.
I picked her up to check for any sing of injuries, but found none. She barely moved, only stretched some of her legs to halfheartedly cling to my fingers. I put her down with her mouth over the water dish in case she needs to drink, though I don't think she's dehydrated. I've seen her drink several times since I got her.

What I know is this:
She molted about three weeks ago (just before I got her), and lost a leg just before the molt.
The tank she was in at the pet store had mold in it, so it wasn't the best of conditions.
She hasn't eaten since the molt, and mostly refused anything I tried to feed her. She did grab her food twice, but stood holding it overnight and dropped it later the next day without as much as a munch on it.
I do not know how old she is, she's not very big, but from what I've managed to get out of the scarce facts about it, the E. truculentus isn't a very big species.
I've kept her about the same way as a G. rosea, meaning dry substrate. She has always had access to a water dish, and I've offered her food regularly, but always taken it out if refused/dropped.

Not sure what I'm looking for here, mainly venting I guess, but I'm really worried. :(

Mara

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

I just checked on her, she had moved a little and propped herself against the glass again. It's like she wants to climb but doesn't have the strenght to :(

Mara

Arachnopeon
this morning she was sitting on the other side of her tank, so she had moved a bit, but she's still curling... I'm going to leave her be for now, so I don't stress her too much, but it's killing me :wall:

Mara

Arachnopeon
The worry is over. I came home today to find her dead :(
I keep going through all the things that could have been the reason, and what I could have done differently :wall:
It was such a pretty little girl, and the first T to die in my care... and I only had her for about three weeks *sigh*

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ooooh, so sorry to hear that - I guess eventually we'll all be putting ourselves through the "what if" self-doubt stage when this happens to our Ts.

Well, I don't blame you for feeling bad about it, but don't beat yourself up, it isn't your fault - the best way to console yourself (and honor your departed truculentus at the same time) is to go out and get a new truculentus! :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm sorry to hear that, and sorry for your loss. my condolences... for what its worth.

i highly doubt you were keeping it wrong, since everything i know leads to the same info you stated, kept relatively like rosea, etc. also my euathlus sp. sling does the catch and release a lot, btw. my best guess is it came in with the problem or it happened at the pet store, either way you didn't know, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*hugs Mara*

Sorry about your T :(

We've all been there, and we go over the details in our mind wondering what could we have done differently.
If the conditions you had her in were good, then maybe she was sick already by the time she came into your life.
At least you gave her a good, comfortable home where she could be safe, and loved her last weeks.

*hugs*

Mara

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone.

My guess is that she caught an infection after losing the leg, and that being weakend after the molt made her unable to fight it off. As I said, just a guess, I cant know for sure.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is there a possibility you had a MM? That could explain "her" being really active, and always climbing. They also tend to focus less on feeding. I have noticed my MM T. "Spinipes" get really lazy and sloppy when he eats. He might grab a single roach, but as he tries to grab the rest the tend to run and he just doesn't really seem that interested in pursuing them.

Just putting it out there.

Mara

Arachnopeon
No, it was not a MM, I'm certain she was a female (sexed the molt). And I don't mean she was always moving, but she wasn't just sitting still either. She would prech somewhere for a bit, then move to another place and sit there for a while, and so on. It wasn't the kind of wandering tendencies that MM's get, as far as I know.