Worried new T owner--please advise!

missghie

Arachnopeon
Hi all, please don't flame me for any mistakes I've made with this T--she's (I hope she's a she) my first T and I truly want to give her the best care I possibly can.

I got her about 5 days ago--a beautfiul 2.5" avic azuraklassi. She came in a deli cup that she had made a pretty heavy duty "hammock" web in the top of. I got her a really nice arboreal enclosure and fixed it up with coconut substrate, driftwood, a live snake plant, and a little statue of Shiva for decoration. The transfer wasn't much of a problem, she's very gentle and docile. Since she's been in there, she moves around and has been exploring, but she's refusing food and hasn't done much webbing at all.

Last night, I was trying to feed her and she made a fast break for it--before I could stop her, she was at the top of the open enclosure, she crawled up my hand and just flew about two feet to the ground. She didn't have any visible injuries, and has been moving around just fine.

This morning I discover that she's completely webbed herself in at the bottom of the enclosure, in a narrow space between some driftwood and the statue. If she's doing this to molt, it seems a bit odd that she's on the ground, and also, it's such a narrow space, she's vertical on the driftwood, I don't see how she could lay down to molt. I hope she's molting and will be fine soon, but I'm also worried that she may be acting like an injured spider? Any ideas?

I also got an avic metallica sling. It's eaten about 2 crickets, but has refused in the last few days and isn't really making any webs or anything. Does that sound right? Should I keep trying to feed it every other day or so?

Thanks,

G

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your spider is fine. It is just settling in. I have a Goliath that didn't eat for a month or two then ate 9 crickets all at once.(it was dropping them lol) as for your a metallica it could be in pre molt. Don't worry it knows what it's doing and welcome to the hobby. :D

missghie

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for your kind reassurance. I feel like a new mother who just gave birth to an alien!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No need to worry. Your A. azuraklaasi knows what it's doing, I would say it's going to molt. Refusal of food and webbing in are some signs of a molt, and as for being odd that it's on the ground, my A. avic molted on the ground. Spacewise, it knows how much it will need. You're new at this, but your tarantulas are not so relax and enjoy them, don't worry too much. Your metallica also sounds like it could be approaching a molt.

Welcome to the hobby. It's one you'll enjoy.

missghie

Arachnopeon
So other than making sure the temp and humidity are ok, I should just leave them alone? I keep wanting to make sure the blue toe is alive, she's so still and so hidden--I guess I'll have to resist the urge to stroke her with a paintbrush or blow on her? When will I know she's ok and how long will it be (assuming she's molting?). Will she come out of her web? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions.

Thanks again.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember always checking to make sure my Goliath was O.K. when he was my first and only tarantula. When they die they smell TERRIBLE and their legs curl under them like a fist. That paranoia will go away soon. Kinda like your first cell phone. Your always checking to make sure the screen isn't cracked or something.