Worried about my Trinidad olive

abryan16

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I noticed my little one like this this morning. Very odd behavior as she is typically hiding. She hasn’t been eating either so I figured she was going to molt. I have seen my other babies molt but her behavior seems different. Just concerned as to how this type of species molts. Does this look like a molt or does she look sick?

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ts will often stop eating if they not hydrated, and yours sure seems like it isn't. You should change your husbandry perhaps

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, they are definitely a moisture dependent species, you really need to dampen up that substrate.

abryan16

Arachnopeon
Okay thank you I definitely added moisture. I really appreciate the feedback y’all. Thank you

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
That particular stance (from my own experience) is one of discomfort. Legs tucked with knees in toward the cephalothorax like that is just an unhappy position. Obviously there are exceptions and it doesn’t apply to every single specimen, but as a general rule.

Discoordinated legs resting to the sides at an angle like that I’ve noticed tend to be associated with dehydration as has already been mentioned, and it sounds like you’ve already taken care of that :angelic: Good luck!

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
If it doesn't improve soon, I would place a small dish of water right next to it, and possibly move the mouthparts over the dish is the spider is unresponsive. Hope it recovers soon!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
There’s definitely not enough moisture for this species, I agree with that.

abryan16

Arachnopeon
I put it in an icu and its doing so much better. I also changed the substrate. It’s still in the icu and now it’s climbing and way more active! I really appreciate everyone’s advice! Ty

Question, how long it recommended time to leave tarantulas in the icu? I see anywhere from 48-72 hours in what I’ve researched but anyone who has done it I would like to know what you recommend.

Attachments

roseh

Arachnopeon
No one here is going to recommend putting the T in an ICU. I would dampen the substrate and put him/her back in the enclosure.

roseh

Arachnopeon
It can stress out the T as it's an unfamiliar environment, also a lack of ventilation could be fatal.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Okay Ty, why do you recommend not using icu just curious
It’s just a stuffy container with little ventilation and a lot of moisture , there’s no need to just correct the substrate moisture, and problem solved. No need for an ‘icu’ ans it was more active probably because it was taken out of its environment where it felt comfortable

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
ICUs create a stagnant, wet environment which is very conducive to the growth of fungi and bacteria that can harm the tarantula. This is especially true for an animal that may already be sick, injured, or debilitated. As someone said earlier, it's a much better idea to change your husbandry methods and put the spider back into its enclosure.