Worried About My Pinktoe

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
thank you for accepting me into the hobby
:)
I’m keeping Penelope in the jar until I get something like a cheese ball jar because my old tank glass is so thick it impossible to drill through
I love the cheeseball jars. Not so much a fan of cheeseballs, but you do what you gotta do. Lol. I keep my C. versicolor in one, and it's how I plan to house some of my other Avics once they get larger. This was before she webbed up the place.

20180717_151412.jpg 20180717_151207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
I love the cheeseball jars. Not so much a fan of cheeseballs, but you do what you gotta do. Lol. I keep my C. versicolor in one, and it's how I plan to house some of my other Avics once they get larger. This was before she webbed up the place.

View attachment 331522 View attachment 331524
Yeah I remember I ate cheese balls and I threw up
God I’m not a fan of cheese balls

Here a random funnel weaver that died of old age I’m waiting for her babies to hatch

View attachment 331522 View attachment 331524
Happy Martin Luther king jr btw

It ugly ik

I added more in the top and on the bottom
I don’t have wood right now ;-;

I added more in the top and on the bottom
I don’t have wood right now ;-;
She looks stressed as hell am I the only one who thinks stressed tarantulas look adorable? It looks cute with the legs

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
What about now?
Thats just how they sit.

Get that cardboard out of there, replace it with wood or something that wont mold or break down....be creative, you could likely find something laying around the house. (broken pot, pvc, etc).

Then elevate the plant to the top of the wood or whatever you use.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You could pack them up into baggies and give them to friends so you don't have to eat them yourself. That's what I do with most things when I want the container, but not what's inside.

Here a random funnel weaver that died of old age I’m waiting for her babies to hatch
I'm not as educated with true spiders as I am with Ts, but I would post on the True Spider subforum of the boards (if you haven't already) to see if there's anything special you need to do to ensure the survival of the eggs, especially if the mother has died. Many spiders display a bit of maternal care for the eggs to keep them healthy.

She looks stressed as hell am I the only one who thinks stressed tarantulas look adorable? It looks cute with the legs
I think a bit of instincts come into play with thinking a small creature is cute, especially a small creature making itself even smaller. But keep in mind that the animal is not attempting to be cute; it is trying to make itself as small and unnoticeable as possible. It's scared. So try to see it with a bit more sympathy. The most adorable tarantula is one behaving naturally and comfortably, after all

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Thats just how they sit.

Get that cardboard out of there, replace it with wood or something that wont mold or break down....be creative, you could likely find something laying around the house. (broken pot, pvc, etc).

Then elevate the plant to the top of the wood or whatever you use.
There ain’t any wood around my house ;-;
I want to get that cork bark hide in but I can’t get the <edit> thing in
And I’m in winter so

cold blood

Staff member
There ain’t any wood around my house ;-;
I want to get that cork bark hide in but I can’t get the thing in
And I’m in winter so

I specifically gave other options besides wood. That said, you do have wood (see your quote above), you could simply cut the wood you have to fit....for free.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
My dad was so rude to my tarantula
He called it Boring cause it doesn’t move
I was like “bruh that’s what tarantulas are”

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I’m not that big of a cheese ball fan
No one cares if you like corn-based snacks!!

You were provided a cheap suggestion for a container to use as a home for an arboreal T.

This thread isn’t about what food you like, but providing info to help your T

Many people have rescued Ts from big box stores successfully, and many haven’t.

I specifically gave other options besides wood. That said, you do have wood (see your quote above), you could simply cut the wood you have to fit....for free.
There you go again, stating the obvious in a helpful manner!

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
My dad was so rude to my tarantula
He called it Boring cause it doesn’t move
I was like “bruh that’s what tarantulas are”
I'm sorry to hear that your hobby is not well received by your dad. Just stick to the advice you get on here when it comes to taking care of Penelope and you will be golden!

Can you post a picture of the current enclosure of your T? The advice from cold blood to have a wood or cork piece in there is very important. Especially when your T molts, having no elevated and stable place can lead to big problems... I have seen a GBB tarantula on this forum that did not have enough anchor points for its webbing and had an unnatural molt at the side of the enclosure. Different species, but a proper setup is key. Also, does your T eat well and what kind of feeder insects do you use?

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Here her tank
I keep it 55% humidity cause it does have some crossed ventilation
But not enough so I kept it low
She hiding right now

she eats well the pet store never fed her so she went bonkers on every cricket she saw, she also has just went into premolt

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Here her tank
I keep it 55% humidity cause it does have some crossed ventilation
But not enough so I kept it low
There is no need to chase arbitrary humidity readings, especially if you are restricting ventilation in an effort to achieve them. Moist, stuffy enclosures are often lethal to Avicularia.

Avicularia do fine with dry substrate and a water dish. If you are concerned that she is not drinking -- they don't always go to their water dishes -- you can drip some water onto the webbing to provide a drink.

As for the enclosure itself, it's not a bad start, but there is also some room for improvement. Is it front-opening? If so, I'd move the cork and the fake plants to the top half of the enclosure. The ground should be relatively clear, as Avicularia seldom go there, and ground cover just gives feeder insects a place to hide.

I'd also add more fake plants in the top half. They will use the cork as a hunting platform and the plants as anchor points and cover.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
It not front facing ;-;
She doesnt web the top but she does web the thermometer xD

Well my dad says that the last enclosure I’m getting
If I can I’ll try to drill some holes or move her to something even smaller

Well my Tarantula is doomed anyways cause I got her from PetSmart
Omg people are still rating that post? That was a month ago not being rude please forget that comment even existed please

No one cares if you like corn-based snacks!!

You were provided a cheap suggestion for a container to use as a home for an arboreal T.

This thread isn’t about what food you like, but providing info to help your T

Many people have rescued Ts from big box stores successfully, and many haven’t.

There you go again, stating the obvious in a helpful manner!
I never started that freaking comment bruh!
Sealy uve been trying my best would I be on arachnoboards rn if I wasn't trying? NO open your mind man and stop throwing your anger out on random people

I'm sorry to hear that your hobby is not well received by your dad. Just stick to the advice you get on here when it comes to taking care of Penelope and you will be golden!

Can you post a picture of the current enclosure of your T? The advice from cold blood to have a wood or cork piece in there is very important. Especially when your T molts, having no elevated and stable place can lead to big problems... I have seen a GBB tarantula on this forum that did not have enough anchor points for its webbing and had an unnatural molt at the side of the enclosure. Different species, but a proper setup is key. Also, does your T eat well and what kind of feeder insects do you use?
I named my Pink Toe Penelope cause P for Pink Toe lol

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
That jar really isn't ideal either. It looks much too small.

Also, there's no way you're 21 :rofl:

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
It not front facing ;-;
She doesnt web the top but she does web the thermometer xD
Hey Nolan, was it your birthday? Says you are 13 now... Happy belated B day, if that's the case! :)

Thanks for the enclosure pic of last monday. Not everyone has a super HD camera, but I can't see the ventilation very well. Where are the holes in the new enclosure? The MOST important thing for Avics is having good ventilation. Cross ventilation would be best, so the air can circle through your terrarium. In a closed "fishtank", your T would suffocate eventually...

It's clear that you care about your animal and it's great to see how you took much advice on here to heart, such as the wood bark and the enclosure size. Just don't focus on humidity levels too much and keep it dry, with the exception of the water dish. Ventilation should be your number 1 concern :)