Worried About My Pinktoe

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
In his defense, if he did look up information online, he would probably be told to keep it in a 50 gal tank, with heating pads on all 6 side, plenty of substrate for his pink toe to burrow and to mist the enclosure with a half gallon of water every 4 hours.
Lol Facts

image.jpg

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
imo could still use more ventilation
Actually there a lot of crossed ventilation
It just bright af so you can’t really see it

imo could still use more ventilation
Btw that pfp is so beautiful I’m going to cry

Btw guys are the plants really necessary?
I mean I visited Guyana, I was chilling in the shade under one of those cabins, i look up and see this funnel web, at first I thought I was just some funnel weaver spider like a Agelenopsis species, when I prodded the web I saw a tarantula with pink pads so r the plants technically necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Well my dad says that the last enclosure I’m getting
If I can I’ll try to drill some holes or move her to something even smaller

Well my Tarantula is doomed anyways cause I got her from PetSmart
Don't ever have the audacity to own another tarantula again. You don't deserve one.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Don't ever have the audacity to own another tarantula again. You don't deserve one.
1. My parents said they wouldn’t give me a tarantula, but they got it without telling me to do my research so I wasn’t ready for this!

2. It over! The problem solved! Look at aprilmayjunebugs comment right above you

3. Whatever

And that was a mistake I thought it was doomed cause the pet store owner told me it was a wild caught tarantula! I thought it was doomed cause if you heard exotic lair vinegaroon death from it being wild caught! I apologize I commented that I was just stressed you don’t need to make <edit> worse for where

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
And that was a mistake I thought it was doomed cause the pet store owner told me it was a wild caught tarantula! I thought it was doomed cause if you heard exotic lair vinegaroon death from it being wild caught! I apologize I commented that I was just stressed you don’t need to make <edit> worse for where
I apologize for my harshness, but it's honestly frustrating the amount of people on here that kill their Avics over nothing less than lack of proper research! In your case, if you are 12, you shouldn't be solely responsible for researching proper husbandry for your pet. Your parents should be ensuring that the care for your pet is proper. These are living things! People treat inverts like they're just "bugs." I really hope you're up for the task of fixing and revamping anything that needs to be done to promote proper husbandry of this T.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Sorry about me saying that the tarantula is doomed

I just felt stressed and annoyed from my life

I’m not saying she doomed I was just in a horrible mood today

I apologize for my harshness, but it's honestly frustrating the amount of people on here that kill their Avics over nothing less than lack of proper research! In your case, if you are 12, you shouldn't be solely responsible for researching proper husbandry for your pet. Your parents should be ensuring that the care for your pet is proper. These are living things! People treat inverts like they're just "bugs." I really hope you're up for the task of fixing and revamping anything that needs to be done to promote proper husbandry of this T.
ill try my best! Wish you the best of luck in life and I’ll be researching 24/7

And I’ve seen somebody who actually kept tarantulas since he was 13

And I’m not young 12

I’m 12 1/2
And my birthday is not even a month away so I’m gonna be 13

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
And I’m not young 12

I’m 12 1/2
And my birthday is not even a month away so I’m gonna be 13
As long as your understand the responsibility you have, that's great and I wish you luck in the hobby. From now on, come here first, before you get a T (I realize this time your parents surprised you), to make sure your set up is correct. I have a son a bit younger than you and he's getting into this hobby too. It's great, but there's a lot to learn.

Thekla

Arachnoprince

boina

Lady of the mites
Actually there a lot of crossed ventilation
It just bright af so you can’t really see it

Btw that pfp is so beautiful I’m going to cry

Btw guys are the plants really necessary?
I mean I visited Guyana, I was chilling in the shade under one of those cabins, i look up and see this funnel web, at first I thought I was just some funnel weaver spider like a Agelenopsis species, when I prodded the web I saw a tarantula with pink pads so r the plants technically necessary?
No, plants are not absolutely necessary. What you want to provide is a place where your spider can make a web. In nature they may do that in holes in trees. You don't have a tree with a hole. In captivity the easiest way is to provide a stable piece of wood/bark for them to hang out on and then some leaves in the upper area for them to attach their web to. They do tend to make round, cocoon-like webs, so give them an opportunity to do so. Too many/ too dense plants won't be helpful either.

Edit: And add more ventilation. The enclosure should look like a swiss cheese, at least in parts.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
You did pretty good kid. You took a lot of guff from us but you didn't give up, that's commendable. Maybe next time refrain from lashing out at the adults though. As I tell my own kid, you don't have to put every thought that runs through your brain on the internet. But I'm not your parent so I'll leave it at that. Also, don't call me out as I'm no expert and I never said there wasn't room for improvement. There's always room for improvement. You've demonstrated that you, even being a young man, have the ability to figure stuff out so I really hope you keep it up and continue to grow and educate yourself so you can one day inspire and educate others. Best of luck to you kiddo :)

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Ye
You did pretty good kid. You took a lot of guff from us but you didn't give up, that's commendable. Maybe next time refrain from lashing out at the adults though. As I tell my own kid, you don't have to put every thought that runs through your brain on the internet. But I'm not your parent so I'll leave it at that. Also, don't call me out as I'm no expert and I never said there wasn't room for improvement. There's always room for improvement. You've demonstrated that you, even being a young man, have the ability to figure stuff out so I really hope you keep it up and continue to grow and educate yourself so you can one day inspire and educate others. Best of luck to you kiddo :)
yep rn I’m tryna add more ventilation holes to her enclosure, my dad said he has a drill that can break through glass, he said he will try to use it on the side to make crossed ventilation
Rn I’m just gonna keep here in this jar

Wait aren’t you Triana Macqueeni?
I think I saw you on Howcast of How much Heat and Water a tarantula needs video

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
and the reason I blame my parents is cause they think she will be “fine” when I showed them the jar with crossed ventilation they yelled at me saying she was better in the old setup and thought she would escape
I was like “bruh, it not like tarantulas can kick down lids” and he kept yelling and he putted her back in the old set up and I was like “ok go ahead! If you want my tarantula to die then so be it

That’s why I blame my dad and my mom agrees I love my pink toe but my parents make it too difficult cause they think she will survive in a no crossed ventilation cage

They also think I’m ungrateful like the setup was wrong I was like I’m doing it to save my spider

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Perhaps it would add validity to your statements if you were to show your parents this website and all the personalized responses from knowledgable and experienced keepers telling you the correct setup. It's very common for people who don't know too much about invert keeping to think of them like any other "normal" pet, in which case the way we keep them would be rather inhumane.

The information you'll find on most websites and in almost every pet store is actually extremely outdated. But unfortunately, that outdated information is still the most widely available. The knowledge we have on animals and their care is constantly evolving, and tarantulas are no different.

I'm all for younger people getting into the hobby and spreading the appreciation we have for these creatures, but responsibility needs to be upheld, no matter what your age. As a younger person, you will have a harder time seeming responsible, especially to your parents. That is why I suggest showing your parents this website, doing as much research as you can, and doing your best to prove to your parents that you know what you're doing and have people to guide you when you need help. It may be incredibly frustrating, but try your best not to argue or fight with them about it without showing them evidence that backs you up. That will not help your cause.

Also, don't worry so much that it's wild-caught. Wild-caught does not automatically mean there's problems with it or it's destined to die before it should. That would mean we would never have tarantulas in the hobby to begin with, as every species we have stems from wild-caught ancestors. Just be wary of who you watch on YouTube, that's all I'm going to say on that.

Finally, though I'm not as active as I used to be on here, I'd be willing to help if you ever sent a direct message or if you needed help explaining anything in depth to your parents. I'd happily write out a few paragraphs explaining why we all suggest the setup we do for them if needed, but that would be far too long of a post for me to post on this thread, hence the offer for help via direct message.

All that said, welcome to the hobby. I hope you stick around and continue to grow and learn about these fantastic creatures

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Yep
Perhaps it would add validity to your statements if you were to show your parents this website and all the personalized responses from knowledgable and experienced keepers telling you the correct setup. It's very common for people who don't know too much about invert keeping to think of them like any other "normal" pet, in which case the way we keep them would be rather inhumane.

The information you'll find on most websites and in almost every pet store is actually extremely outdated. But unfortunately, that outdated information is still the most widely available. The knowledge we have on animals and their care is constantly evolving, and tarantulas are no different.

I'm all for younger people getting into the hobby and spreading the appreciation we have for these creatures, but responsibility needs to be upheld, no matter what your age. As a younger person, you will have a harder time seeming responsible, especially to your parents. That is why I suggest showing your parents this website, doing as much research as you can, and doing your best to prove to your parents that you know what you're doing and have people to guide you when you need help. It may be incredibly frustrating, but try your best not to argue or fight with them about it without showing them evidence that backs you up. That will not help your cause.

Also, don't worry so much that it's wild-caught. Wild-caught does not automatically mean there's problems with it or it's destined to die before it should. That would mean we would never have tarantulas in the hobby to begin with, as every species we have stems from wild-caught ancestors. Just be wary of who you watch on YouTube, that's all I'm going to say on that.

Finally, though I'm not as active as I used to be on here, I'd be willing to help if you ever sent a direct message or if you needed help explaining anything in depth to your parents. I'd happily write out a few paragraphs explaining why we all suggest the setup we do for them if needed, but that would be far too long of a post for me to post on this thread, hence the offer for help via direct message.

All that said, welcome to the hobby. I hope you stick around and continue to grow and learn about these fantastic creatures
I thought that she was doomed if you saw Exotic Lair Vinegaroon

But I’m not saying I hate her or I don’t want her I’ve always wanted a tarantula since I’ve caught and took care of orb weavers, Funnel weaver spiders, and a whole lot of other spiders

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Yep

I thought that she was doomed if you saw Exotic Lair Vinegaroon

But I’m not saying I hate her or I don’t want her I’ve always wanted a tarantula since I’ve caught and took care of orb weavers, Funnel weaver spiders, and a whole lot of other spiders
I personally tend to avoid that youtuber to be honest. What I have seen wasn't all that informative, and the titles and photos seem to be a bit exaggerated for click bait. They don't seem to have the best reputation among those on here, either. Though not as sensational as Exotics Lair or Dark Den, Tom Moran consistently gets recommended when it comes to knowledgeable youtubers. And of course, there's all the information found on here.

I definitely wasn't trying to imply that you don't like your tarantula. We were all once your age, I'm sure we all understand that you were just speaking with your emotions. ;) I was just trying to offer some friendly advice, as someone who certainly raised hell for her parents but now understands where they were coming from and what I should have done and said differently to earn credibility for myself.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
I personally tend to avoid that youtuber to be honest. What I have seen wasn't all that informative, and the titles and photos seem to be a bit exaggerated for click bait. They don't seem to have the best reputation among those on here, either. Though not as sensational as Exotics Lair or Dark Den, Tom Moran consistently gets recommended when it comes to knowledgeable youtubers. And of course, there's all the information found on here.

I definitely wasn't trying to imply that you don't like your tarantula. We were all once your age, I'm sure we all understand that you were just speaking with your emotions. ;) I was just trying to offer some friendly advice, as someone who certainly raised hell for her parents but now understands where they were coming from and what I should have done and said differently to earn credibility for myself.
thank you for accepting me into the hobby
:)
I’m keeping Penelope in the jar until I get something like a cheese ball jar because my old tank glass is so thick it impossible to drill through