Worried About My Pinktoe

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Perhaps it would add validity to your statements if you were to show your parents this website and all the personalized responses from knowledgable and experienced keepers telling you the correct setup. It's very common for people who don't know too much about invert keeping to think of them like any other "normal" pet, in which case the way we keep them would be rather inhumane.

The information you'll find on most websites and in almost every pet store is actually extremely outdated. But unfortunately, that outdated information is still the most widely available. The knowledge we have on animals and their care is constantly evolving, and tarantulas are no different.

I'm all for younger people getting into the hobby and spreading the appreciation we have for these creatures, but responsibility needs to be upheld, no matter what your age. As a younger person, you will have a harder time seeming responsible, especially to your parents. That is why I suggest showing your parents this website, doing as much research as you can, and doing your best to prove to your parents that you know what you're doing and have people to guide you when you need help. It may be incredibly frustrating, but try your best not to argue or fight with them about it without showing them evidence that backs you up. That will not help your cause.

Also, don't worry so much that it's wild-caught. Wild-caught does not automatically mean there's problems with it or it's destined to die before it should. That would mean we would never have tarantulas in the hobby to begin with, as every species we have stems from wild-caught ancestors. Just be wary of who you watch on YouTube, that's all I'm going to say on that.

Finally, though I'm not as active as I used to be on here, I'd be willing to help if you ever sent a direct message or if you needed help explaining anything in depth to your parents. I'd happily write out a few paragraphs explaining why we all suggest the setup we do for them if needed, but that would be far too long of a post for me to post on this thread, hence the offer for help via direct message.

All that said, welcome to the hobby. I hope you stick around and continue to grow and learn about these fantastic creatures
The ridiculous thing is that they think in talking to strangers which when they didn't listen to my advice I almost felt like smashing my head into the wall or face palm so hard but my dad was trying to Drill crossed ventilation but he made a giant hole in the enclosure but the Y cent escape but the feeders can 😣😖🤮🤢

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The ridiculous thing is that they think in talking to strangers which when they didn't listen to my advice I almost felt like smashing my head into the wall or face palm so hard but my dad was trying to Drill crossed ventilation but he made a giant hole in the enclosure but the Y cent escape but the feeders can 😣😖🤮🤢
I mean this with the best of intentions, but you gotta work on your proofreading and sentence structure. It's tough to understand what you're saying sometimes with some of the typos/autocorrects. o_O But I think I got it most of it. If not, let me know. Lol

I mean, your parents are technically not wrong because we are a bunch of strangers. Lol. But among these strangers are biologists, entomologists, top-tier breeders, well known and respected keepers, and people who have been keeping and learning about these creatures for YEARS. And there's members here from all over the world. With the collective knowledge and experience between thousands of users worldwide, we know a lot about what does and doesn't work.

How big is the hole your father drilled into the enclosure? Are you 100% positive the T can't get out? You could try getting a metal vent or something along those lines to cover the hole so that there's still ventilation but nothing can escape. Or you could block some of the hole with a few layers of hot glue (letting the glue harden before each layer) to reduce the size of the hole. Obviously, the T should be removed from the enclosure before making any adjustments to anything.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
I mean this with the best of intentions, but you gotta work on your proofreading and sentence structure. It's tough to understand what you're saying sometimes with some of the typos/autocorrects. o_O But I think I got it most of it. If not, let me know. Lol

I mean, your parents are technically not wrong because we are a bunch of strangers. Lol. But among these strangers are biologists, entomologists, top-tier breeders, well known and respected keepers, and people who have been keeping and learning about these creatures for YEARS. And there's members here from all over the world. With the collective knowledge and experience between thousands of users worldwide, we know a lot about what does and doesn't work.

How big is the hole your father drilled into the enclosure? Are you 100% positive the T can't get out? You could try getting a metal vent or something along those lines to cover the hole so that there's still ventilation but nothing can escape. Or you could block some of the hole with a few layers of hot glue (letting the glue harden before each layer) to reduce the size of the hole. Obviously, the T should be removed from the enclosure before making any adjustments to anything.
I'm positive cause it tried to escape but all that can point out was the front legs but gave up and went back into the hide

And the sad thing is we are moving soon and not far it just about 1 mile away and I need some advice cause my dad said we would put her in the cage and drive but the roads there are gravel and bumpy and I worry that hide will fall on her I said that I could put her in a container

Attachments

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I'm positive cause it tried to escape but all that can point out was the front legs but gave up and went back into the hide

And the sad thing is we are moving soon and not far it just about 1 mile away and I need some advice cause my dad said we would put her in the cage and drive but the roads there are gravel and bumpy and I worry that hide will fall on her I said that I could put her in a container
I'd be more worried that the side of your enclosure would collapse, because that thing is straight up shattered... For a transport you might be able to use a critter keeper or simply a cup/plastic with a lid (like the ones T sellers use at expos). These are okay for a short time. But honestly, I wouldn't trust those cracks in the glass of its enclosure... Maybe it's time to reconsider the Cheeseball enclosure? At least with plastic you can drill your heart out... with glass not so much.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +

I would definitely put her in a smaller container for transport, such as a deli cup or small kritter keeper. It may only be a mile, but a lot can happen in a mile

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
And good news my dad said he was gonna buy her another cage it think he said it was gonna be a nano tall :)
Hope it will last
The Nano Tall is what I use for my pinktoe. It's a size she seems very comfortable with and IMO it's a great terra choice for an A. Avicularia. What I did with my Nano Tall is a plexiglass modification at the top of the enclosure. There are many stories about Ts getting their toe claws stuck in between the mesh that comes with the terra. I'm sure many keep their Avics with the mesh and have no problems, but personally, I rather spend a few bucks for a plexiglass sheet and be on the safe side. Check the video below for a great tutorial - could be a nice craft project for you and your dad. Hope it works out with the new terra!

Exoterra Screen Mod

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
I checked my T gender
And
It a boy
But I’m not mad it still my tarantula and he still young now I prob need to change it name

And i want to change my T name you can give me names or if you guys think Penelope is still a fine name it oki :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And i want to change my T name you can give me names or if you guys think Penelope is still a fine name it oki :)
Nolan- it’s your T, pick a name yourself. Why rely on us to pick a name for you????

That’s like asking asking us to pick out your clothes or decide what you should have for dinner.

Enjoy your T!

Nothing wrong with males! Good thing about males- people need them for breeding, and they don’t live long, start looking for your next T.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Nolan- it’s your T, pick a name yourself. Why rely on us to pick a name for you????

That’s like asking asking us to pick out your clothes or decide what you should have for dinner.

Enjoy your T!

Nothing wrong with males! Good thing about males- people need them for breeding, and they don’t live long, start looking for your next T.
Mate my parents won’t let me get another one
Besides I’m busy mostly on online school cause of Corona virus so how would I have the time to care for 50 t's at once (not wanting to be an (beep)hole)
And I just like to have one T so yeah

Strangely for my avic most people throw the food next to them
I put the food on the edge of the web causeI want to see her rush out and snag it
She ate a cricket 247C845D-DE7A-42A5-9F15-8E80CA1BDB99.png

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Mate my parents won’t let me get another one
Besides I’m busy mostly on online school cause of Corona virus so how would I have the time to care for 50 t's at once (not wanting to be an (beep)hole)
And I just like to have one T so yeah
Make some money from cleaning a few bikes? Bday money? T’s are pretty cheap, perhaps you can grind your parents down into having another one if you cover the cost?

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Actually there no more room
I have a bearded dragon, Leapord Gecko
And the Tarantula

Make some money from cleaning a few bikes? Bday money? T’s are pretty cheap, perhaps you can grind your parents down into having another one if you cover the cost?
And I just like having 1 is there something wrong with that

You have got to be kidding me

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Are you kidding me? What white stuff? Is there mould? Or what are you trying to show us?

If there's indeed mould, then you're keeping your Avic way too moist with not enough ventilation.