Worried About My Pinktoe

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That seems to be a completely wrong setup for an Avic. Please make your own thread with a little more information about your Avic (size, sex, last moult, last feeding, etc.) and pictures of your T (including the pedipalps) and the entire enclosure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have moved these replies to a separate thread. Carry on.

boina

Lady of the mites
View attachment 330293 I have a pink toe but she won’t eat, I’m getting worried for her

Lemme show u my pink toe
This setup is very good - if your goal is to kill your Avic as soon as possible.

That was probably a bit harsh, but it is really not that difficult to research the species you are getting before you are getting it.

Avicularias are arboreals, meaning tree dwelling spiders. What you need is a tank that's higher than long with plenty of ventilation, upright standing cork bark with fake leaves around the top, a water bowl, and DRY substrate. I'd be more surprised if it would eat in that setup than to hear it isn't eating.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nolan I've told you what you needed to do and sent you a video on how a pink toe should be set up. I was under the impression you'd provided a vertical hide?

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Well my dad says that the last enclosure I’m getting
If I can I’ll try to drill some holes or move her to something even smaller

Nolan I've told you what you needed to do and sent you a video on how a pink toe should be set up. I was under the impression you'd provided a vertical hide?
Well my Tarantula is doomed anyways cause I got her from PetSmart

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
Ok, so try to work with the enclosure you have. Get some cork bark, or even dried wood from outside and put it upright - upright is important. Put some webbing anchors (fake leaves etc.) around the top with enough space for the tarantula to make a web in between them. Dry out the substrate - completely. Get a very well ventilated lid. And tell your dad killing animals is not a good way to educate children.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Go and buy a big container of cheese balls, eat them all in 1 day. This can be used as an enclosure, enclosures can be used from empty food containers. You can poke holes in it. Then you can get a piece of wood and bake it in the oven to kill anything. This would be my route if your dad doesn’t want to spend money. There are simple ways to make it work if you don’t have money.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Yeah I’m not that big of a cheese ball fan

That's a terrible thing to type. Just give her to someone who will care for her properly.
Well nobody in my area likes tarantulas
I wanna send it to you but you live in England and didn’t I hear that it illegal to ship animals to you?

That's a terrible thing to type. Just give her to someone who will care for her properly.
Maybe I’ll try finding someone who can take care of her properly and try moving to another species maybe like a G. Pulchripes, or do you know any tarantulas that are like simple?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well nobody in my area likes tarantulas
I wanna send it to you but you live in England and didn’t I hear that it illegal to ship animals to you?
Maybe I’ll try finding someone who can take care of her properly and try moving to another species maybe like a G. Pulchripes, or do you know any tarantulas that are like simple?
Unfortunately like I already told you the enclosure your dad bought you is for a small/young reptile so unless you fill it 3/4 full with substrate it's not suitable. It's a real shame you're unable to find a suitable enclosure for your pink toe given that a tall cereal tub would be enough. I'm sure there will be someone local who has experience with tarantulas and would provide yours with a great forever home.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Apologies in advance, as this may sound critical, but it reads as though you are not willing to do anything beyond making excuses and blaming your dad, even though you have received expert advice on here. Your profile says you're 21? Now, I don't judge, because maybe there's a reason you can't go out and make your own money, but it sounds to me like you would be better off finding an animal you can afford to house, but only after doing EXTENSIVE research. As far as finding a new home for your Avic, I would try to find someone local (post a craigslist ad, call a pet store, maybe someone else has better suggestions) because shipping it off would require you to first learn how to do so. I want to wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

cold blood

Staff member
A fantastic new home could cost 5 to at most, 10 bucks. Thats not even a half full change jar.

Sterilite tub-$4.50 Easily drilled out for ventilation in minutes.

Driftwood-free on any lake or river shoreline, even ones that only have water in them in spring.

Plants-$1 bunch from the dollar stores art and craft section.

Water bowl-the lid from anything...I like peanut butter lids...might cost $2 tops if you have to buy the pb.

This shouldnt be up to your father, the cost is so ridicolously low its comparable to lunch at McDonalds.

SlytherinAway

Arachnopeon
completely agree with cold blood. T's are probably the cheapest pet i've ever kept. hell, my first enclosure was almost 100% made up of stuff i found laying around my house

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
It sounds like you don't really want this spider. Avics are very easy to care for with a proper setup, even one purchased from Petsmart. She isn't "doomed" she just needs an arboreal set up with proper care.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately like I already told you the enclosure your dad bought you is for a small/young reptile so unless you fill it 3/4 full with substrate it's not suitable. It's a real shame you're unable to find a suitable enclosure for your pink toe given that a tall cereal tub would be enough. I'm sure there will be someone local who has experience with tarantulas and would provide yours with a great forever home.
I managed to find a jar but one problem I need your guys help with, how many crossed ventilation holes should I use?

image.jpg

Poonjab

Arachnoking
This setup is very good - if your goal is to kill your Avic as soon as possible.

That was probably a bit harsh, but it is really not that difficult to research the species you are getting before you are getting it.

Avicularias are arboreals, meaning tree dwelling spiders. What you need is a tank that's higher than long with plenty of ventilation, upright standing cork bark with fake leaves around the top, a water bowl, and DRY substrate. I'd be more surprised if it would eat in that setup than to hear it isn't eating.
In his defense, if he did look up information online, he would probably be told to keep it in a 50 gal tank, with heating pads on all 6 side, plenty of substrate for his pink toe to burrow and to mist the enclosure with a half gallon of water every 4 hours.