Worried about my Paruroctonus xanthus

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
My cute little Paruroctonus xanthus arrived today. Did research before I ordered. Arid specie, from Arizona desert, likes sand, doesn't burrow, wants a hide. Couldn't find much info on keeping them :(
When it arrived today I got worried. It was packed in moist paper? It had shredded a lot of paper (thirsty?) did I get the setup wrong? Should I change substrate?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I keep several P xanthus. Hardy species. They do like to dig in the the sand so have 3-4" or so of sand and dig out a little dugout under the hide. They have a beautiful green neon coloration.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Thx. So I did get it right. I'm keeping the sand. Yeah, noticed the burrowing :) very amusing to watch. This one is much easier to observe than my Heterometrus and Opistophthalmus. He doesn't seem to care if I'm watching.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Are you sure that's P xanthus? Have you examined the ventral side of the metasoma?

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Are you sure that's P xanthus? Have you examined the ventral side of the metasoma?
New to Scorpions. Metasoma is the tail,but can't find any explanation on carinae? Guessing now, is that the joint between the segments? Managed to get this picture while he was eating. Sorry,it's the best I can do with my phone.

Attachments

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Carinae are the bumps that form ridges. The fifth metasomal segment in paruroctonus only has setae present on the carinae, not between. In smeringurus, setae is present in a seemingly random pattern, on AND between the carinae. Alot of people sell S mesaensis as P xanthus, or possibly also P hirsutipes as xanthus. All three look identical when young from a casual glance

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Carinae are the bumps that form ridges. The fifth metasomal segment in paruroctonus only has setae present on the carinae, not between. In smeringurus, setae is present in a seemingly random pattern, on AND between the carinae. Alot of people sell S mesaensis as P xanthus, or possibly also P hirsutipes as xanthus. All three look identical when young from a casual glance
Aaahh, thx. :) Then it seems like Lee got it right. As far as I can tell, the setae is located two and two on the ridges. Ordered a blacklight yesterday. Can't wait to see this little guy's true colours.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The hide should not have an end on the back, but be open so it can dig through it.