Worried about my Lasiodora, opinions?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi all,

I've had a L. parahybana for nearly 9 years now. She's about 15 years old (got her as an adult) and has molted about every 2 - 2,5 years in my care (hardly gaining any size at all).

Surprisingly, she molted again a few weeks ago. It's been hardly a year since her last molt, so this took me by surprise. As she had a nice round but before the molt, she's not skinny now, but her abdomen is only about as big as her carapace, so she's not fat, either.

Now why I'm worried: It's been nearly 6 weeks since her molt, and while usually a voracious eater after molting, she still refuses food. There is nothing wrong with her chelicera, I checked. She even killed a cricket that annoyed her, but didn't eat it. Otherwise she seems fine as well - no uncordinated movements, all the normal responses (That is, unfriendly ones ;)).

can this be an indication of old age? Is she dying on me? I don't know her exact age, but as she was an adult when I got her (the guy I bought her from said she was 6 years old, but I have no way to verify that and she was already about 7,5" big) and has been living for 9 years in my care, she can't be younger than about 15... so what do you think?

Attachments

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe she is just getting older and it is taking longer for her to fully regenerate. Or harden up and get her appetite back. If it has only been a few weeks then I would not worry too much as she is probably just not in the mood:) Though you know her best. this is just my opinion, I have three Lps that are around the 7" mark and I dont even try to feed them untill its been two weeks at least(or shortly after their fangs turn black again) if they refuse the meal then try again in a week:D Good luck
~Aaron

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say she's fine. The big ones can take a while to harden up. She's just not ready yet.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, but 6 weeks seems excessive - she has always eaten about 3 weeks after a molt. plus, there is the fact that she used to molt every 2.5 years and has now molted after only a year (without apparent damage to trigger the molt).

so, anyone with experince concerning old lasiodoras? i'm really worried as i've come to regard this big girl as part of my life...

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not sure what is going on with your LP but man she is awesome! I have one that I got as a juvenile in February and it has already molted a few times and getting ready to again as I type. I can't wait until mine reaches that size. Great T!!!:worship:

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
6 weeks is a little long to harden up, I say that she may just not be hungry. My T molted a year ago (P. Irminia) and she hardly eats. Maybe 3 crickets every 3 months. She is still a fat happy camper though :p I doubt anything is wrong with her :)

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's definitely old so that's gotta be a possibility, but if that is the case, then there's not a lot you can do about it. I don't think there's any other option than to just give her time and hope she's just still recovering from the molt. Good luck!