Worried about my L. parahybana?

Johnzo1

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

I'm new to arachnoboards as a member, but have often viewed the many great articles and discussions pertaining to tarantulas and scorpions.

I recently bought a small salmon pink birdeater, Not sure if its what you'd call a spiderling, with about a 2 1/2 inch legspan. The tank is kept warm and humid. I'm using coconut fiber bedding with a fake plant, a water dish, and a clay hide. Nice and simple. :)

He/she (waiting for a molt to find out) seemed great at the start, spending the first night exploring it's tank and even feeding. Then, however, it dug out a large burrow in its clay hide and to my knowledge hasn't come out since (about a week - 10 days). From the research I've done it seems this is a particularly bold/active species, often totally neglecting a hide. It has fed twice since I got it, once the first night and again 4 days later. it still hasn't left the burrow, and now it seems to be refusing food as well.

Should I be worried? Perhaps a molt is approaching, but I'm not sure how to know...any feedback would be greatly appreciated

-Johnzo

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi there John and welcome to the boards. Sounds like you are doing everything well so far, and to me it sounds like your L. parahybana is getting ready to molt. I wouldn't worry too much and let it be. Also because you are Canadian I would recommend joining the Canadian subforum. Go to your user control panel and send a request to join the Canadian group.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My sling is shy, and as it gains size he/she spends more time out in the open.

Your baby is eaither getting ready to molt, or just wants some peace in quiet while she adjusts to her new home.

Keep us posted :)

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Leave it alone, it knows what it is doing.

My slings rarely ever sit at the opening of their burrow, they are most often in the depths waiting for the vibrations of a cricket up top.

Johnzo1

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input guys. I won't attempt another feeding until either I see a molt or until it becomes a little more active. I have a feeling it's going to be the former.

Should I keep my ceramic heat bulb on during this possible molt? My room is fairly warm anyways, but I like to try to provide temperatures slightly warmer than room temp. The bulb keeps it around 27 degrees in the hottest spot and a little cooler elsewhere. His/her burrow is on the cool side.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Say nay to ceramic heater, it more detremental to the spider than helpful, my L.parahybana is doing fine and getting ready to molt as well and its thriving with 75 degrees average (thats what i heat my house to), you can help with a molt by making it a little bit more humid, but i must stress the a little bit part. Also after the molt wait to feed you Tarantula untill its fangs will turn black (you will know what i mean) and another 3 days after give it a cricket

Johnzo1

Arachnopeon
Say nay to ceramic heater, it more detremental to the spider than helpful
I see. Do you have a reason for this? my scorpions always loved them.

I also have an exo-terra moonlight bulb for nocturnal animals that gives off a purplish light not unlike a blacklight (although it never made my P. imperator's glow) Would that be better? My room is fairly warm but I do live in Canada and its winter here, so I like to try and have heating options especially in the night.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend extra heating unless your room is less than 20 C. I keep all of my t's at room temp in my critter room which is around 21 to 22 C. If you did want extra heat I would recommend heat tape controlled by a thermostat. The bulbs produce quite a dry heat.

Johnzo1

Arachnopeon
Alright, the heat is removed and the temperature is steady at 24...The tank is nice and humid.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their thoughts, I'll keep you guys informed.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not a problem. I have a friend who is temporarily living here in SK and will be going home to Newfoundland in a few months I think. She is quite a tarantula enthusiast herself so I have told her about the forum. It would be good for you maritimers to get together and pool resources.

Johnzo1

Arachnopeon
Sounds good. I have accumulated some supplies for keeping inverts that I'm not using, so let me know

cheers

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright, the heat is removed and the temperature is steady at 24...The tank is nice and humid.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their thoughts, I'll keep you guys informed.
+1 on the no additional heat

Not a problem. I have a friend who is temporarily living here in SK and will be going home to Newfoundland in a few months I think. She is quite a tarantula enthusiast herself so I have told her about the forum. It would be good for you maritimers to get together and pool resources.
Contact user: salamanderhead

He lives in Newfoundland, he might be able to help you out seems to know his stuff.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1 on the no additional heat

Contact user: salamanderhead

He lives in Newfoundland, he might be able to help you out seems to know his stuff.
Salamanderhead has been banned so he won't be able to be contacted.