worried about my first scorpion

replambe

Arachnopeon
Hello, I just brought my first scorpion home today. The first thing I noticed was that one leg is missing! :mad: At first she (I think it's a she? Not sure) burrowed slightly, and was very still (beginning of the evening). Then a bit later she was actively exploring her new home, failing to discover the little dome/hideaway I had placed for her. Later on she did something I'll try to describe: she was using her claws on her face while moving first all the legs on one side for several minutes, then the same, moving the legs on the other side. I moved her domehome thing to a different spot, and she discovered it. I thought finally, maybe she is happier. Then later she went around to the four corners of the tank, with her claws and legs stretched out as far as they'd go, like she just wanted to leave. Then she dejectedly crumpled into a heap. This time I made a large divot in the substrate (I'm using Zoo Med "Eco Earth" and trying to keep things warm and humid) and set the dome on top of that, and directed her to it. She is in it now, and seems weaker than before. How worried should I be? I keep irregular hours, usually up from around 3pm to 5am. She is not in direct sunlight. Any help would be of course very appreciated.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of scorpion is it. How big is it.
(just a little side note, when buying pets... you should check the actual critter as well as the enclosure before you buy, that will help you NOT buy a sick little creature)

Missing one leg is not the end of the world for your little bug... if you posted a really good pic then maybe so of the other people on here could give you more information as to what kind of a cage, temperature, humidity and so on.

But without knowing what kind it is, no advice can be offered.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like it's just trying to adjust to it's new enclousre. She'll settle down after a few days.

John

replambe

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I forgot to mention... she's an emperor scorpion. Probably about six inches long when all stretched out. Not exactly sure as I haven't measured. She's still in the dome (not surprising I guess since it's broad daylight).

replambe

Arachnopeon
She's been hidden in the same spot for a couple days now. I'm worried she's not getting water. Do I just need to give her more time?

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Assuming the humidity is high enough and you gave her a water dish, it's not something to worry about. Hiding all day is normal, healthy behavior.

replambe

Arachnopeon
Cool. The folks at the pet place at the time I bought her didn't know much about scorpions. I called the place today and fortunately got to talk to someone this time who did. She told me the scorpion needs light, two different kinds: one to simulate sunlight during my waking hours, and the other to simulate moonlight. Five days without the lights. Eek! I added a plant today also, a pothos. I mist it daily and keep the substrate moist (not wet). Thanks btw for the responses.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool. The folks at the pet place at the time I bought her didn't know much about scorpions. I called the place today and fortunately got to talk to someone this time who did. She told me the scorpion needs light, two different kinds: one to simulate sunlight during my waking hours, and the other to simulate moonlight. Five days without the lights. Eek! I added a plant today also, a pothos. I mist it daily and keep the substrate moist (not wet). Thanks btw for the responses.
That story about light is total BS. That's an excuse for them to sell you expensive moonlight and sunlight bulbs....Scorpions do have a certain circadian clock, biological clock and they need 12 daylight, 12 night. A cheap ordinary red bulb wil suffise.

you have been had buddy......that wouldn't been happened if you did a little research, but at least now you know for the future.
"the knowledgeable woman", mmmmppfpfffffffff :)

replambe

Arachnopeon
Actually the most expensive thing she sold me was the lamp for the bulbs. Damn thing was $19! Oh well, at least hopefully the scorpion won't be harmed by the bulbs??

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually the most expensive thing she sold me was the lamp for the bulbs. Damn thing was $19! Oh well, at least hopefully the scorpion won't be harmed by the bulbs??

That's what I meant. They won't actually harm the scorpion, but, if the sunlight lamp has real high concentrations of UV keep an eye on the scorp. I should not be sitting under them all day....They will hide during the day anyways, and I don't think these bulbs give off lot's of heat....
Petshop people, and a lot of people for that matter, can be very convincing. When I just started, I also bought useless things, like hygrometers, mite spray for reptiles (scorpions are also arachnids for cryin' out loud), because I would absolutely need those, according to the pet shop...When you are unsure about certain items, just ask around before you buy them or Google a bit.

Krissrock

Arachnopeon
the problem is that a lot pet store reps aren't knowledgeable about scorpions...not they want to sell you everything. They just don't know.

Now, One thing is for sure, i think a dark light is better. I found that mine will not come out at all if I use a red light. It's bright. If you're house isn't baking, and you need a constant heat supply, i'd go with a dark light. They wont see it during day, and they wont see it at night. But they'll always have the heat they need.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Scorpions don't need any light at all, let alone fancy day/night stuff. They live in burrows on the forest floor...

replambe

Arachnopeon
One thing I forgot to metion... the belly of this scorpion was on the large side... a lot of white showing... They told me at the pet store she had been eating more than her fair share... but uh... I swear the belly is a lot bigger now, and of the four crickets I put in with her last Saturday, one still remains. I'm starting to think she is pregnant. I guess some pics would help but she spends most of her time in her burrow. I hope she hasn't been overfed! If this helps, the pet store folks said they only had her for a few weeks. I plan to call them again tomorrow to get a bit more detail if possible.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Krissrock, pet shops have a commercial goal, it would be a bit naieve to think that they don't want to sell you everything. Of course, not all pet shops are the same.

Replambe, you can remove prey items that aren't eaten in a period of three days. Without a pic, it is hard to tell if a scorpion is gravid or just fat.

Cheers, Michiel

replambe

Arachnopeon
Man. I took off the stones she's hiding under, but under that she's burrowed herself quite a ways in. I tried luring her out by letting her grab onto things; it didn't work. I finally gave up, figuring I was causing her too much stress. Had the dark light on for most of today; she didn't come out. Wish I could take a picture but I'd have to ruin her little home... was going to post just a picture of the setup but I just misted and the glass is still wet.

Kyuss1975

Arachnopeon
Sponge = Bad

Get rid of the sponge, totally not needed and will only cause problems in the end. Mine hide all of the time, nice pet rocks. Also mine have gone for many months without eating. I would not be alarmed at all. Is she gravid? You will have to wait for some other members opinion.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Repamble, I think people (incl. myself) are tired of telling the difference between gravid or fat. There a bazillion threads about it, read those, and if you can't figure it out yourself, then post a good sharp and clear picture of the side of the scorpion.

replambe

Arachnopeon
So the video isn't enough? (Quality too poor?) I'm just curious as to what you folks think, since I don't know and the pet store doesn't either. Your suggestion makes it sound as if there is no point to joining this board, because 1) If you don't know, you have to become a scorpion expert and 2) If you are an expert, you shouldn't help anyone because they're not an expert yet. Um, okay!