Worried about my curly hair - could she be in premolt?

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
Please convince him. Your little one needs a place to burrow when she's ready to molt. She'll burrow - or not:bucktooth: If she burrows, she will seal herself in. Don't dig her out or try to feed her. Just leave water. I used water bottle caps when mine was younger. Now I use peanut butter lids. Mine likes to swim. 10 days after she molts check the color of her fangs. If they're black try feeding her crickets, not worms. Mine doesn't like them. Good luck. B. albopilosum is a funny clownish T. Atleast mine is
The substrate has been ordered and is due to arrive pretty soon. She did have a little hide for her to hide herself if she needed. She uses it quite a lot, but I do agree she does need substrate to burrow in, which she will have pretty soon. I'm going to also try feeding her crickets, as she is showing no interest in the worms.

If you were recommended that as substrate, please post a picture of your setup. Here's some advice usually contrary to what pet stores/inexperienced people say

Hints:
Never, EVER, EVER blindly trust care sheets
No heat mat
No heat lamp
No heat rock
Don't "mist daily"
The substrate should never be wet
They DO NOT like being held
Feed 1-2 times a week
If food isn't eaten in 24hours, remove it
If they dont eat, wait a week, try again
We were recommended at first to use a sponge as a water source from a pet shop owner, which is obviously wrong. I now use a bottle cap as a water dish, which is small enough so she doesn't drown in it. She's only small. I haven't been doing any of the things you've listed, luckily

I want to thank everyone for the replies, you have all been a huge help, and has given me the wake up call I needed. I don't want to make anymore mistakes with my T so I'll probably start posting and reading here regularly. I want to give Daisy the best set up possible, to ensure a happy long life for her.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas won't drown. The dish has to be big enough for her to get into it decently so she can take a drink.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We were recommended at first to use a sponge as a water source from a pet shop owner, which is obviously wrong. I now use a bottle cap as a water dish, which is small enough so she doesn't drown in it. She's only small. I haven't been doing any of the things you've listed, luckily

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Ts don't drown. They float. When mine was younger she would float in her water dish then get out when she pleased. Even now I will find her in the water dish! It's very amazing to watch her drink!
Anytime you have a question come to arachnoboards. Not pet store:vomit:
Oh yes. Get a job because you'll need $ to pay for this addicting hobby.

cold blood

Staff member
Put the T in a catch cup,
Dump out all the substrate and mealworms into a bag or something,
Fill the enclosure with topsoil or cocofiber half way or 3/4ths of the way up,
Add water dish and hide,
Try feeding a cricket maybe it'll take it.
I can't see a tarantula easily eating a mealworm on a bunch of wood chips so maybe it isn't in premolt and it just needs softer substrate so it can sense the food better. :)
I agree with the first half, but I really don't think that t needs any food, its pretty darn fat...plenty fat enough to facilitate its next molt.

Not pathetic. If you aren't able to convince him to switch to coco fiber (showing him this thread is a wonderful idea) and all else fails, then I would be happy to try and assist you in affording a bag or brick.

Thankfully its taken care of, cause the op is in the UK.

soopersoop21

Arachnopeon
Not pathetic. If you aren't able to convince him to switch to coco fiber (showing him this thread is a wonderful idea) and all else fails, then I would be happy to try and assist you in affording a bag or brick.
This was a long time ago, but so sweet.

Also, if no one else has suggested it, a hide will assist with helping them start a burrow :) (Once they have coco-fibre or topsoil)
I just recently moved my juvenile to a bigger enclosure, and they wasted no time in excavating all around and under the half-log hide I provided.

You can use half a flower pot, coffee mugs, or typical reptile hides. The possibilities are endless!
I know this was a long time ago, but I’ve been wondering….materials like ceramic or plastic become cool to the touch. Does that irritate a T?

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I don't yet have a job, which is kind of pathetic, but yeah.
Not pathetic. At all. You’re a teenager still, it’s okay. I was financially dependent on my parents until I was almost 21 because of some extenuating circumstances. Things happen.

I won’t dogpile on what everyone else has already said but show your father this thread and educate him too. it’s the best thing you can do for your tarantula.