Worried about my curly hair - could she be in premolt?

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
So I got my first tarantula a few weeks ago, so excuse me for being a bit inexperienced. She's a Honduran Curly hair, who I named Daisy. The problem I have with her, is that she hasn't eaten since I got her. I put mealworms in front of her, but she just gets scared and hides herself. The mealworms then just burrow. I'm starting to get a bit worried, but then I thought, maybe she's in premolt? she has a dark spot on her abdomen, but it isn't shiny, just partly dark. I have a picture I can show.

What are your thoughts on it? and what should I do, stop feeding her? 20160521_203419.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
1. yes, its at least close to pre-molt and just needs time, not more food. Yes, stop offering food until a week after it molts....just keep the water dish full.

2. That sub is totally inappropriate....use something smoother...it may be coco fiber chunks (I'm not sure), but if it is, it needs to be broken up so that its smooth....there's no way a t could burrow in that.

3. You will need to do a complete re-house, as those burrowed mealies will turn into beetles, which will devour your molting t. Always crush the heads of worms before feeding.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
what kind of substrate is that? put her on something more appropriate, eco earth and peat moss work very well. if that sub had cedar in it she could be poisoned. NW tarantulas kick hair when stressed, she just kicked most of her urticating hair off, thats why theres a bald spot. she is very possibly in premolt however. or at least getting close. when you rehouse her, make sure you dont let the mealworms burrow as they can hurt or even kill a molting T. post a pic of your setup so we can see if anything else is wrong. you can try feeding once a week after rehousing, if shes still not taking it or the bald patch darkens, just leave her be with a full water dish.

2. That sub is totally inappropriate....use something smoother...it may be coco fiber chunks (I'm not sure), but if it is, it needs to be broken up so that its smooth....there's no way a t could burrow in that.

def wood chips. coco dosnt look anything like that, much more darker brown.

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
1. yes, its at least close to pre-molt and just needs time, not more food. Yes, stop offering food until a week after it molts....just keep the water dish full.

3. You will need to do a complete re-house, as those burrowed mealies will turn into beetles, which will devour your molting t. Always crush the heads of worms before feeding.
Believe it or not, that sub was advertised as being FOR tarantulas. Personally, I knew it wasn't right, but I'm financially dependent on my father who was the one who bought that substrate. If I had it my way, I would have gotten coco fibre. I'll try talking to my dad and seeing if I can get a substrate change. I'll try to get all the mealworms out, and definitely see if I can get some cocofibre instead.

cold blood

Staff member
def wood chips. coco dosnt look anything like that, much more darker brown.
While I agree, there have been many instances of coco fiber chunks being used that did look very much like wood chips.

Plain topsoil is a super cheap alternative to coco fiber.

You're 19, how are you financially dependent on your father for something that's so inexpensive??

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
While I agree, there have been many instances of coco fiber chunks being used that did look very much like wood chips.
ah, yeah i forgot. if the coconut isnt ground up well, it does look very similar.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
In addition to what others have said, Don't forget if you haven't to always have a full water dish available, They loose a lot of internal moisture after a molt.

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
Don't forget if you haven't to always have a full water dish available, They loose a lot of internal moisture after a molt.
Water dish is full at all times, though I never do see her drink from it. Maybe she does when I'm not watching? either way, the water is always available if she needs it

Plain topsoil is a super cheap alternative to coco fiber.

You're 19, how are you financially dependent on your father for something that's so inexpensive??
I don't yet have a job, which is kind of pathetic, but yeah.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Water dish is full at all times, though I never do see her drink from it. Maybe she does when I'm not watching? either way, the water is always available if she needs it
pic when you get the chance please.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I STRONGLY suggest you invest some time and read the numerous posts on this forum that have already answered these questions MANY YEARS over and many others you will likely have being a new owner.

In fact, if you use google, and put in search terms, most of the answers come from AB here because google indexes this forum.

It's nice to see a new T owner already have a water dish in there for a change!!

Nice T.....Do Your Research.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Believe it or not, that sub was advertised as being FOR tarantulas. Personally, I knew it wasn't right, but I'm financially dependent on my father who was the one who bought that substrate. If I had it my way, I would have gotten coco fibre. I'll try talking to my dad and seeing if I can get a substrate change. I'll try to get all the mealworms out, and definitely see if I can get some cocofibre instead.
Please convince him. Your little one needs a place to burrow when she's ready to molt. She'll burrow - or not:bucktooth: If she burrows, she will seal herself in. Don't dig her out or try to feed her. Just leave water. I used water bottle caps when mine was younger. Now I use peanut butter lids. Mine likes to swim. 10 days after she molts check the color of her fangs. If they're black try feeding her crickets, not worms. Mine doesn't like them. Good luck. B. albopilosum is a funny clownish T. Atleast mine is

Arcana

Arachnopeon
Agree! Zyranne, you should show this thread to your dad. :) Tell him it is not because you want cocofiber, it is because T needs it :)

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Put the T in a catch cup,
Dump out all the substrate and mealworms into a bag or something,
Fill the enclosure with topsoil or cocofiber half way or 3/4ths of the way up,
Add water dish and hide,
Try feeding a cricket maybe it'll take it.
I can't see a tarantula easily eating a mealworm on a bunch of wood chips so maybe it isn't in premolt and it just needs softer substrate so it can sense the food better. :)

AshLee

Arachnopeon
I don't yet have a job, which is kind of pathetic, but yeah.
Not pathetic. If you aren't able to convince him to switch to coco fiber (showing him this thread is a wonderful idea) and all else fails, then I would be happy to try and assist you in affording a bag or brick.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another issue with the woodchips is that they have sharp edges and points. A T's abdomen is very soft and can easily be damaged by these chips, leading to a rupture and possible death of the T. It also does not cushion a fall should the T decide to climb.
A few tips to sum it up:
Make sure that:

There is a waterdish large and deep enough for the T

There is a hide

The space between the top of the enclosure and the substrate is max 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the spider.

The substrate is coco fiber or topsoil without any additives.

If all of the above needs are met, leave her alone for a week. And I mean really leave her alone. Supply water and then do not disturb her in any way. After this, you could try and feed her a cricket, if she is not in pre molt. If she is, leave her alone until the fangs are black again.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just because it has a bald spot it doesn't mean she's in pre molt. I have a lot of Nicaraguan curly hairs that have bald spot on their abdomen and are still eating. The photo you provided her abdomen is not a solid black color under its skin so therefore you need to keep feeding her at least 4 crickets once a week.
It seems that you also acquire a Nicaraguan curly hair as well nice find.

EggMcMuffin

Arachnopeon
Please change the substrate. You can get topsoil for £2 for a 25L bag (make sure you use plain topsoil, no additives at all. I use B&Q own brand top soil.) But coco fibre is only £3 a block and that will fill the enclosure. I am sure you can get your hands on £3.

Bemottled

Arachnosquire
Also, if no one else has suggested it, a hide will assist with helping them start a burrow :) (Once they have coco-fibre or topsoil)
I just recently moved my juvenile to a bigger enclosure, and they wasted no time in excavating all around and under the half-log hide I provided.

You can use half a flower pot, coffee mugs, or typical reptile hides. The possibilities are endless!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you were recommended that as substrate, please post a picture of your setup. Here's some advice usually contrary to what pet stores/inexperienced people say

Hints:
Never, EVER, EVER blindly trust care sheets
No heat mat
No heat lamp
No heat rock
Don't "mist daily"
The substrate should never be wet
They DO NOT like being held
Feed 1-2 times a week
If food isn't eaten in 24hours, remove it
If they dont eat, wait a week, try again

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Pretty much agree with everyone else here. That sub is not good at all for a T. Its not your fault or your father's as he was given bad information, but for the health and safety of your girl it absolutely has to be changed. It isn't a matter of preferring coco fiber or topsoil, its potentially a matter of your pet's life.