Worried about my Brazilian Giant white knee sling.

Gembean841

Arachnopeon
Last week I got a giant white knee sling, I'm concerned about it because it seems a little slow in its movements and I've found it sort of curled with its legs up underneath it several times. Its not interested in the fruit flies, or chopped up super worm bits I've offered it. I feel a bit sad, I'm wondering if it's unwell? I have it's little home set up correctly, I believe. Is it possible that it's cold? I do live in the UK and it has been cold here lately.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Can you give us a description of how you have your sling’s enclosure set up and how long you’ve had it for. I am assuming you are referring to A. geniculata based on the common name. Also, what size is it DLS and when did it eat last? Can you provide a pic of the sling in its enclosure?

Gembean841

Arachnopeon
Sounds dehydrated and about to die.
I've been watering the substrate, too tiny for a water bowl I think, so I've been poking a pipette down into the substrate to the side of the tub and squirting water in, Is that the correct thing to do? The other babies seem ok.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been watering the substrate, too tiny for a water bowl I think, so I've been poking a pipette down into the substrate to the side of the tub and squirting water in, Is that the correct thing to do? The other babies seem ok.
I add water dropwise to the surface and webbing

Gembean841

Arachnopeon
Can you give us a description of how you have your sling’s enclosure set up and how long you’ve had it for. I am assuming you are referring to A. geniculata based on the common name. Also, what size is it DLS and when did it eat last? Can you provide a pic of the sling in its enclosure?
Its about an inch in size. I'll go get a picture. No idea when it ate last, only had it since Wednesday last week.

I add water dropwise to the surface and webbing
Thank you, I do put a few splats on the plastic leaves as well.

Yes, geniculata

Here's some pictures.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Here's some pictures.
  1. Way way too large enclosure. You probably want to rehouse it to at least 1/10 of that size enclosure.
  2. Way way too dampened, you want to keep it dry, stop misting and provide a small water dish instead.
  3. Provide a hide, so your tarantula can go hide in it and gets comfortable in it, if it wishes to.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I would downsize to a smaller enclosure. I can’t quite tell how deep the substrate is, but you generally want enough sub for the sling to burrow down at least a few body lengths. A. geniculata are generally pretty hardy and feed aggressively until they molt so there is a distinct possibility that your sling is going to molt soon and it’s just slowing down before the process. I zoomed in on the pic as best as I could and that abdomen does seem pretty plump and dark. Some individuals can look and behave downright awful before they molt so you may want to just monitor it closely for a few days and see what happens. Provide some small source of water and hope for the best.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with @Dandrobates , the image is bit blurry, but the abdomen isn't small at all, sure looks like approaching a molt to me as well. But your description in the OP has me concerned.

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
I would add a small piece of cork bark so it can use it as a hide. Looking at the enclosure, unless its the way the picture came out, it looks way too damp. If you just got it last week, I wouldn't worry about feeding for another week or two as it could be ready to molt and that's basically the only time they refuse food in my experience. What's the current room temperature in the room where you are keeping the T?

Last edited:

Gembean841

Arachnopeon
  1. Way way too large enclosure. You probably want to rehouse it to at least 1/10 of that size enclosure.
  2. Way way too dampened, you want to keep it dry, stop misting and provide a small water dish instead.
  3. Provide a hide, so your tarantula can go hide in it and gets comfortable in it, if it wishes to.
Ok, will do thankyou for the advice

I would downsize to a smaller enclosure. I can’t quite tell how deep the substrate is, but you generally want enough sub for the sling to burrow down at least a few body lengths. A. geniculata are generally pretty hardy and feed aggressively until they molt so there is a distinct possibility that your sling is going to molt soon and it’s just slowing down before the process. I zoomed in on the pic as best as I could and that abdomen does seem pretty plump and dark. Some individuals can look and behave downright awful before they molt so you may want to just monitor it closely for a few days and see what happens. Provide some small source of water and hope for the best.
Thank you. 👍 Will have a little move around of pots this morning, see if I can make my little spood happier.

I agree with @Dandrobates , the image is bit blurry, but the abdomen isn't small at all, sure looks like approaching a molt to me as well. But your description in the OP has me concerned.
I've found my spider on its back this morning, looks like you were right about the moulting. Thanks for your help, it's a little daunting looking after slings. My red knee came as a sling two years ago, I figured as I'd managed to navigate that spider into becoming a juvenile then I should be ok doing it again. Still, I am just a novice at this stage, any info is appreciated.

I would add a small piece of cork bark so it can use it as a hide. Looking at the enclosure, unless its the way the picture came out, it looks way too damp. If you just got it last week, I wouldn't worry about feeding for another week or two as it could be ready to molt and that's basically the only time they refuse food in my experience. What's the current room temperature in the room where you are keeping the T?
Thank you, the temperature today is about 18 degrees in my little room.

Last edited by a moderator:

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
18 degrees is a bit low on the temp, 21 would be better if not a bit more. That low temp would make it a bit sluggish

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, will do thankyou for the advice

Thank you. 👍 Will have a little move around of pots this morning, see if I can make my little spood happier.

I've found my spider on its back this morning, looks like you were right about the moulting. Thanks for your help, it's a little daunting looking after slings. My red knee came as a sling two years ago, I figured as I'd managed to navigate that spider into becoming a juvenile then I should be ok doing it again. Still, I am just a novice at this stage, any info is appreciated.

Thank you, the temperature today is about 18 degrees in my little room.
Anytime!