worried about my Brachypelma albopilosum

jezwoop

Arachnopeon
hey everyone just need a bit of advise and reassurance. my Honduran curly hair hasn't moved much in the last 30 hours she's turned round a few times.
She hasn't eaten in about a week and a half. I'm pretty new to t's this is my first and I've only had her about 3 weeks.
I've read lots about pre molt but just want to be 100% sure she's OK. she hasn't been very active from the day I got her but the last 2 days she not moved a great deal at all

Attachments

Estein

Arachnoknight
You've got a beautiful T there. Does she have a hide in her enclosure? If not, I'm sure she would appreciate one--same with a water dish (though they might just be out of frame). Doesn't look like premolt to me; her abdomen isn't stretched and shiny, plus her little bald spot is still very light, showing that she doesn't have a new exoskeleton growing under there yet. As far as not having eaten in a couple of weeks, the Brachypelma genus is pretty slow growing so I wouldn't be worried about what seems like a low food intake. How often had she been eating before this?

Ultimately, just seems like a tarantula being a tarantula--nothing to worry about. :) Congrats on your new T, and don't let yourself stress too much. I did the exact same thing when I got my first, but she's still going strong. Welcome tot he hobby! :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hey everyone just need a bit of advise and reassurance. my Honduran curly hair hasn't moved much in the last 30 hours she's turned round a few times.
She hasn't eaten in about a week and a half. I'm pretty new to t's this is my first and I've only had her about 3 weeks.
I've read lots about pre molt but just want to be 100% sure she's OK. she hasn't been very active from the day I got her but the last 2 days she not moved a great deal at all
Nice T!

Nothing obviously wrong w/her, nothing is 100% w/pictures alone to be fair.

I don't get the impression you have read a lot about Ts before getting her, or you would have come across the many references of a T being more of a pet rock than anything else :rolleyes:;).

I strongly suggest you read up on T behavior and T husbandry throughout this forum. About 90% of the many beginner questions you may/will have been answered already many times and many years over.

The more info you know, the better off your cherished pet will be in your case. The less you know, the more likely your T may die in your care. You hold its life in your hands.

jezwoop

Arachnopeon
according to the shop she had been feeding twice a week. im aware the move may have hindered her appetite due to stress i just thought it seemed a long time. There is a hide in the enclosure and a water dish just out of shot. I appreciate the references to a T being akin to a pet rock but she has been a lot more active, it was more the sudden change in behaviour that worried me, she just seems literally lifeless.

Estein

Arachnoknight
according to the shop she had been feeding twice a week. im aware the move may have hindered her appetite due to stress i just thought it seemed a long time. There is a hide in the enclosure and a water dish just out of shot. I appreciate the references to a T being akin to a pet rock but she has been a lot more active, it was more the sudden change in behaviour that worried me, she just seems literally lifeless.
Sounds like a product of the move. It takes some time for Ts to get used to their enclosures, which may account for not only the eating (as you said) but also the change in activity. Before, she may have been wandering a little more to get a feel for her new habitat; now, it seems she has settled down a bit. That's what I would guess, anyway.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had Ts burrow continuously for the entire day, only to stop mid-motion for 24 hrs and pick up right where they left off.

Your T looks quite good, but those are pictures. It may live a long life for the next 25 yrs, or it might die in a few minutes. In either case no one can tell you with any degree of accuracy, esp based on pictures.

It really is just "guess" work many times when it comes to exotic animals, esp ones we know VERY little about.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
She looks really healthy and plump! As a general rule, as long as the T has a big, plump abdomen then it is very well fed. They can go for months without food, so don't worry about it not eating this early ;) Like everyone else is saying, they are really not the type of pet to be moving a lot. Looks beautiful, just offer it food like normal, it should eat after a few days.