Worried about Hungry!

Morr

Arachnopeon
I posted a week ago about my newly aquired A. Genic, Hungry, who didnt want to leave the little container I bought her in... and I also mentioned her bald patch, on the rump, being rather dark. I should mention too that she is my first own T.
Well, today, for the first time since I got her, she actually climbed out of her little box - I was beginning to think she would stay in there until summer, at the least.
I have two heating pads, attached to either side of her terrarium, and I control the temperature so that it never goes below ~70F, and never above 80F. One of the pads, the smaller of the two, I have activated all the time, and the other I only have activated during the days. Also, I have to small plants in there, and a big round shallow water bowl, so the humidity is sufficient, I hope.

When she today, FINALLY, left her little box, i was thrilled to see what she would do... but, it happening on the evening, she crawled over to the all-the-time heating pad, and settled there. Actually I didnt see her move, she just was there suddenly when I checked on her. However.. she sits in a rather distressing posture; kind of lays on the ground, leaning to one side quite much, with two legs on the terrarium wall, and the others pretty much curled up. Having read that they curl their legs up beneath them when they die, I got very worried about her :(
She has been in premolt a while now, I am almost certain, barely moving at all, sitting in her little box, without reacting at all to crickets - a geniculata. So, well, what I would like to know, is how long do genics usually stay in premolt mode, before molting? There's no chance that she is actually beginning to molt, on her side, is there? I mean, that wouldnt bode very well, would it?

Any tips on what to do, if anything at all? Probably just wait for her to molt? As it is, I waterered the two plants in there just recently, and activated the other heating pad, so that it'll be warm and humid in there now.. ah well, I just realised this turned out to be a "oh dear, my first T is molting, what do do?!"-thread.. but, if youre really bored, I really would appreciate any help/insight you can offer..

thanks for your time!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
my A genic always sits in really weird positions. Sometimes, it even does hanstands when it's angry :)
Sounds to me like an upcoming molt. They do get quite sluggish the closer to molting they get. If the patch is getting blackish, it would suggest that a molt is going to happen fairly soon.
Keep prey items out of the tank.
I found that when I first had tarantulas, it seemed to take FOREVER for them to molt. Now that I have over 200, one is always molting LOL...
In other words, if you only have 1 tarantula to concentrate on, it's going to drive you nuts, I would suggest that you go get more ;)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
ya im thinking its a molt possibly. I bet she'll be ok. Keep an eye on her and dont move her...its not good to disturb them if they are going into a molt. Keep us updated on Hungry. Cute name. :)

Morr

Arachnopeon
Hello, thanks for the replies :)

Good to hear other geniculatas also like the more.. unusual of postures :) Hehe, it's gonna be fun to see what Hungry will look like when she gets angry, though I hope it won't happen anytime soon.
She's shifted posture a few times now, during the night, but nothing spectacular, she's still on the same spot. Right by the heating pad. Ok, Hungry, I get your point :)

I think you're right about the "One Tarantula"-syndrome, Immortal_sin.. it's incredibly tedious watching her slowly go through the pre-molt process, and I just can't stop checking on her quite frequently whenever I'm home. So, heh, perhaps another T would be for the best.. yeeeeeess, I could get another one, yeesss... argh, mmmmuuusst... reee...ssssiiiissst

Ok, Spider_savior, I won't bother her. I couldn't resist taking out her little box, though, as soon as I saw her away from it. Seeing her sitting in a round box, perhaps 6" across, in the middle of my presumably well-decorated and cozy terrarium, for over a week, really, really... well, it's over now, PHEW.
Thanks for the remark on her name, I hope she lives up to it :D

The substrate is perhaps 65% peat moss, the rest being vermiculite.

I'll let you know how it goes with her molt and so, though by the look of it, she doesnt seem to be in a hurry, exactly..

Thanks for your time!