Worried about happiness of new Tarantula

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
And then you could have lots of little pink toes running around {D
:clap:
Yes and if the female eats everything but the males feet there will be 8 more pink toes running around right away ;) {D bah.. hehe hee
{D:clap:

Last edited:

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hm, I thought I read it before, but now I can't find it. I think someone mentioned when talking about cricket care to give them some carrot for food. I just wanted to add that I would make sure any veg you give them is either organic (best), peeled or washed very thoroughly. You don't want to give your guy crickets that have been fed-up on pesticide sprayed foods. The first ones probably wouldn't show any effects, but if it is continually done it can build up in your tarantula over time.
I like to keep crickets (and this is just me) in the larger of those clear plastic salad containers with substrate on the bottom and holes made in the top. I find they are too tall for them to easily jump out of and it gives them some room. I throw in some objects for shelter...most people use egg carton, but I don't in case the crickets chew them. And I give them a variety of fresh fruit and veg scraps and clean water in addition to the cricket food they come with. The gel I throw out. I don't like feeding just one type of food to any of my animals, including my feeders. I think happy healthy feeders help make happy healthy tarantulas. Like I said, these are just my preferences, but thought I'd share.
Nice to know the gentleman avic has gone to a good home to live out his days. You obviously care about taking care of him properly. Nice arboreal tank you ended up getting, by the way! Best of luck!

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
Hm, I thought I read it before, but now I can't find it. I think someone mentioned when talking about cricket care to give them some carrot for food. I just wanted to add that I would make sure any veg you give them is either organic (best), peeled or washed very thoroughly. You don't want to give your guy crickets that have been fed-up on pesticide sprayed foods. The first ones probably wouldn't show any effects, but if it is continually done it can build up in your tarantula over time.
Very Very good Point I will make sure to do that. I bought some of those cricket vitamin cubes but in addition I give fresh veggies and bread etc.;)

I like to keep crickets (and this is just me) in the larger of those clear plastic salad containers with substrate on the bottom and holes made in the top. I find they are too tall for them to easily jump out of and it gives them some room. I throw in some objects for shelter...most people use egg carton, but I don't in case the crickets chew them. And I give them a variety of fresh fruit and veg scraps and clean water in addition to the cricket food they come with. The gel I throw out. I don't like feeding just one type of food to any of my animals, including my feeders. I think happy healthy feeders help make happy healthy tarantulas. Like I said, these are just my preferences, but thought I'd share.
Thank you for the Ideas :) Much appreciated:clap:

Nice to know the gentleman avic has gone to a good home to live out his days. You obviously care about taking care of him properly. Nice arboreal tank you ended up getting, by the way! Best of luck!
Aww thank you so much for your kind words it means a lot :) :clap: As you know I want to make sure my T's are spoiled and happy.
The tank is beautiful thank you I am really happy with it, I wish I could pick up another one for my newly aquired G. Rosea but I know its too small in length for her, for now she is dealing with the plastic kritter carrier.

Thanks again! :worship: :clap:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very Very good Point I will make sure to do that. I bought some of those cricket vitamin cubes but in addition I give fresh veggies and bread etc.;)
I believe it was me who said to give them a carrot. I forget to throw in to wash them, because if you wouldn't eat it without washing it, the cricket shouldn't either! :eek: We bought baby carrots that are ready to eat in a bag to feed them back when we dealt with crickets. ;) The bread isn't really necessary and it isn't something I have read of people feeding their crickets either. Produce is good, because it will hydrate them as well and they are notorious for committing suicide by drowning if you give them a water dish.

I wish I could pick up another one for my newly aquired G. Rosea but I know its too small in length for her, for now she is dealing with the plastic kritter carrier.
10 gallon fish tanks are cheap and perfect for terrestrials. You have to have lots of substrate in them to make it safe for the T, but at $10 or so for the tank it isn't too bad on the budget. :)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Produce is good, because it will hydrate them as well and they are notorious for committing suicide by drowning if you give them a water dish.
{D Yes, that is very true! I use cleaned out metal tea-lite holders for water for them and to keep food out of the substrate. I put a couple in and they don't drown in those, but the water needs to be changed every day. They are messy critters.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I believe it was me who said to give them a carrot. I forget to throw in to wash them, because if you wouldn't eat it without washing it, the cricket shouldn't either! :eek: We bought baby carrots that are ready to eat in a bag to feed them back when we dealt with crickets. ;) The bread isn't really necessary and it isn't something I have read of people feeding their crickets either. Produce is good, because it will hydrate them as well and they are notorious for committing suicide by drowning if you give them a water dish.
aH Thank you so much:clap: :) I Really like the idea of the baby carrots.

10 gallon fish tanks are cheap and perfect for terrestrials. You have to have lots of substrate in them to make it safe for the T, but at $10 or so for the tank it isn't too bad on the budget. :)
My G Rosea is in a 14.5" L X 8.75" W X 9.75" H (not sure how many gallons that equates to). Container right now it was the biggest critter keeper I could find at the pet store. The girls at the pet store told me she would be just fine in a itty bitty kritter keeper like a 3 x 4.x 4 :mad: I gritted my teeth and I did not listen to them on that one. I will check out and see about trying to find a nice 10 Gallon. I Would like to get her something a little nicer than a large plastic kk tank.:)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
aH Thank you so much:clap: :) I Really like the idea of the baby carrots.

My G Rosea is in a 14.5" L X 8.75" W X 9.75" H (not sure how many gallons that equates to). Container right now it was the biggest critter keeper I could find at the pet store. The girls at the pet store told me she would be just fine in a itty bitty kritter keeper like a 3 x 4.x 4 :mad: I gritted my teeth and I did not listen to them on that one. I will check out and see about trying to find a nice 10 Gallon. I Would like to get her something a little nicer than a large plastic kk tank.:)
Here in Indiana, Walmart has 10 gallon fish tanks for around 10 bucks, but I don't know about your locale.

You will find that many people keep their Ts in smaller enclosures, either by choice or necessity. The do live and thrive in such little spaces, amazingly, but it is a credit to their ability to adapt. We choose to give our Ts space(adults get at least a 10 gallon), but that means we can't have quite as many as we would like either. ;) You get to a certain point where you start looking at your shelf full of spiderlings and wonder where on Earth you are going to put them when they grow up!:)