World's largest bee, once feared extinct, rediscovered in Indonesia

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! that is awesome news,that thing is huge,very impressive,glad to know it's still around thanks for sharing,man you wouldn't want to get stung by that one.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I saw this and it was one of the best moments of my life. Those things are amazing!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS! These are the moments I live for. If you could make a career finding things thought to be extinct, that would be what I would want to do.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
This article has some more interesting information:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/02/worlds-largest-bee-rediscovered-not-extinct/
Apparently a French guy collected one and saw dozens in 1991, but he didn't want to publish because he was worried that the bees would be poached. And in 2018 they found a specimen being sold on Ebay for $9100.

The French guy, by the by, was presumed dead by a bunch of people in France but turns out to be living in Melbourne. Go figure

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Also the fact that they managed to capture it on film just makes it even better

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! Lovely! Nice that it is not estinct!! Do anybody know what kind of venom it has? Strong or same potency as honeybees?

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very impressive bees, I am lucky enough to have seen a preserved specimen, Wow is all I can say.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Lazarus taxa are so interesting, especially when it is something unique, such as the last member of a taxon or a record-holder. Now who is going to rediscover golden toads (Incilius periglenes)? (Interestingly, these bees were actually last observed about the same time as the golden toad.)