World Records

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I'm going to be teaching a lesson about arachnids to my youth group, and just wanted to know a few of the "Worlds finests" type things to tell the kids, e.g worlds most venomous spider/scorpion, Largest spider, longest lived, etc. If anybody has the answeres it would be greatly appreciated. Also any interesting facts like How far jumping spiders can jump, and how long those diving spiders can hold their breathe and so on. thanks! ;)

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FYI: those diving spiders don't hold their breath. they actually hold air on their bodies with the hair on their abdomen.

Billdolfski

Arachnopeon
I think the most poisonous spiders come from the Phoneutria genus and the most poisonous scorpions come from the Androctonus genus.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Peter_Parker said:
Hi, I'm going to be teaching a lesson about arachnids to my youth group, and just wanted to know a few of the "Worlds finests" type things to tell the kids, e.g worlds most venomous spider/scorpion, Largest spider, longest lived, etc. If anybody has the answeres it would be greatly appreciated. Also any interesting facts like How far jumping spiders can jump, and how long those diving spiders can hold their breathe and so on. thanks! ;)
Largest: T. Blondi, T. Apophysis, L. Parayhbana, H. Hurcules are all contenders. T. Blondi is officially the largest. The largest legspan belongs to T. Apophysis

Most Venomous Spider: Phoneutria Negriveter, or Phoneutria Fera. The 'deadliest' is arguably Atrax Robusta, because it is somewhat common in heavily populated areas.

Most Venomous Scorpion: Leiurus quinquestriatus (LD50: 0.16) or Odontobuthus doriae (LD50: 0.19), but these can vary greatly depending on diet, location, etc.

(Source: http://web.singnet.com.sg/~chuaeecc/venom/rpotent.htm)

Longest Lived: The authors of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide reported a B. Emelia living 35 years or more. The average is around 20, I believe. Males don't live nearly as long as females, rarely living a year past their ultimate molts.
Aphonopelma seems to be the slowest growing genus.

I'm proud to say I never knew anything about arachnids before I started puttering around these boards :worship:

Note:

I am going to become a biology teacher and am looking for preserved specimens to use as visuals.

Specifically, I would like a specimen of P. Negriveter or P. Fera, and L. quinestriatus or O. Doriae preserved in alcohol. Basically any of the things I mentioned above.

I'm poor at the moment so I won't be able to pay a lot for these specimens, although I'll gladly pay for cheap shipping.

I know that P. Negriveter is commonly raised by people on the boards, as are the scorpions I mentioned.

I'd even trade mealworms or superworms. :D

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yeah, duh i forgot about the air bubble thing. Ok, heres a better rephrasing: how long can they stay down before they use up the air in the bubble? :confused: Also if anyone finds any preserved specimens for Evil Chesire and they have any extras, particularly phoneutria fera, atrax robustus, theraphosa spp., give me an e-mail too, please (The kids love visuals :D )

p.s-androctonus australis, too

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know peter, you could always just buy a T. Blondi. They're not too hard to find and we always welcome new members to the hobby. :D

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah but I wouldn't want to buy one just to kill it and put it in a bottle of alcohol. Plus, the only T. blondi I'd feel safe buying would be a fully grown adult (Slings don't like me :( ) and those are like $100 or more. If I had that much to spend on a spider I could buy myself a decent T.V! {D Of course, if someone had one they'd sell for, say, $50 or less, or better yet to GIVE away, I would of course take on the challenge :D