Working with Acrylic Bonding agents?

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
So I am working on my Pokies next tier enclosures using acrylic hinges and hasps. I built my first one sloppily due to the applicator it came with sucking bad! The type 3 bonding agent just ran out instead of me gently pinching the applicator to inject in between the surfaces. Anyone have any advice on a cleaner way of doing this? I ended up with a fugly yet functional enclosure but the runs down the front, the excessive pools that formed around the 2 surfaces and the random drop when taking the applicator away are horrendous eye sores.

Thanks,
Geoff

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Find yourself a fine gauge hypodermic needle, they give you much better control

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Its not so much the 21 gauge but the bottle has no suction like a syringe and it just dribbles out.
I did the same thing with my first enclosure attaching the hinges and clasps, dribbles everywhere.
A diabetic syringe would be to small something a bit bigger than those is fine and try gluing a scrap piece to see how much control it gives you.

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
Ahh I was just looking at smaller gauge needles but it's the bottle? Very well I shall find a syringe bigger than a diabetic one.

Thanks,
Geoff

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can get blunt syringe tips, in the non-medical world they are called liquid dispensing tips I believe, off of Amazon.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ahh I was just looking at smaller gauge needles but it's the bottle? Very well I shall find a syringe bigger than a diabetic one.

Thanks,
Geoff
It's definately both IMO. I used the syringe bottle applicator first... what a mess. I then moved to a 3.5ml syringe and it was a world of a difference but it still dripped because it was so thin even with a 27.5 gauge needle.
I think I'm using 32 gauge now, but I don't remember off the top of my head. :embarrassed:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's definately both IMO. I used the syringe bottle applicator first... what a mess. I then moved to a 3.5ml syringe and it was a world of a difference but it still dripped because it was so thin even with a 27.5 gauge needle.
I think I'm using 32 gauge now, but I don't remember off the top of my head. :embarrassed:
When you get a chance would you find out what size syringe and gauge needle is the best in your experience? No rush for me, would be curious to see that's all.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When you get a chance would you find out what size syringe and gauge needle is the best in your experience? No rush for me, would be curious to see that's all.
Oh jeeze, you asked this already and I forgot to answer! So sorry! I'll see if I can find the needle.