working on a vivarium

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so im going to start my very first vivarium project.

im planning on using my 30 gallon tank that has two golden geckos in it.

anyone have any suggestions as to what to put in the tank and how to keep it alive?

what kind of lighting should i use? right now i have a regular fish light on the tank.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cryptanthus and Tillandsia make great terrarium plants. The crypts prefer some shade and moist substrate, while the tillandsias do better with bright light and allowed to dry out between waterings. I wish I could tell you about more terrarium plants, but I've only kept a handful of species.

I have two 15 watt flourescent bulbs over a 10 gallon where I keep both of these plants (plus a few others, but I didn't go over those because they need humidity that would be excessive for a gecko).

Hemionitis arifolia is another small and adaptable terrarium species.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Check out blackjungleterrariumsupply.com, they have tons of plants and starter kits available for the more tropical vivarium enthusiasts. First you wanna decide what type of ecosystem you are going for? Desert, temperate, lowland swamp, coastal plains, tropical, there are many different terrariums for just about every type of environment! Then find plants and animals that will co-habitate together, and set the tank up accordingly. Black jungle has just about everything including great information on that subject.