Working more to get more spiders?

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I was recently offered overtime, and when I asked how much I could take on, I was advised I could take as much as I can handle without burning out (and violating labor laws, of course). I have been putting away to expand my collection this summer and also get a desert beetle tank, but now I'll squirrel away some extra to contribute more to it. Does anyone else budget for tarantulas the way they do for clothing and such? They're definitely one of the first things to go if I ever have to cut back on something, but I'm thinking about putting a decent chunk of the extra money I'll be making in the next 6+ weeks away for new pets (and enclosures and accessories...).

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I do. I usually wait and look around at what the best deals are. Patience is key. Brought home an a.seemanni for $39 last night. It was more or less a rescue though. And literally just brought home a a.chalcodes that is around 5” for $80. Although I’m different in the sense that my T’s are one of the last things to go if I have to downsize. The amount of joy I get from them has no price.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I do. I usually wait and look around at what the best deals are. Patience is key. Brought home an a.seemanni for $39 last night. It was more or less a rescue though. And literally just brought home a a.chalcodes that is around 5” for $80. Although I’m different in the sense that my T’s are one of the last things to go if I have to downsize. The amount of joy I get from them has no price.
I don't think I could handle getting rid of my collection; I can't see myself being in a place where I couldn't afford crickets, only being able to carry on expanding my collection. I tripped and fell into a job in an extremely stable industry that I love. I did recently break and buy some good deals out of the money I've been saving. I got 3 GBB slings for $99 and a 2" B emelia male for $70. I am going to be giving away all the slings to this summer or fall once they start to get their juvenile colors, but I feel you on the joy of raising them. The GBB is my favorite, it was my first spider, and I'm lucky enough to live in a city where the local museums will accept them for their collections, so it feels like a very small price to pay for being able to watch all their color changes and care for them. I would have preferred a female or at least an unsexed sling B emelia, but I usually see 1/2" slings for around $60, and this one is small enough that we will have a decent amount of time together, but he's already starting to have his adult colors. The same seller has a male 2" N tripeppi for what I feel is a very low price, another species I'm longing for, but they grow and mature out a lot faster, and it may be worth waiting for a sling, as it gives me a chance at a female.

Spiders are my favorite thing, second only to ants, though my first colony of Prenolepis imparis failed, and I haven't tried to raise another. I go through phases of hyperfocusing on things (though I never stop being interested in the old fixations), and it's a sometimes embarrassing part about my autism. My partner is very supportive of my obsession with spiders (in the past I've been focused on weirder things, snapping out of my prior obsession into ants and then more invertibrates was a relief to him), but he's also been very honest that they do nothing for him, though I do sometimes take nice pictures of them. He also paid for a my decently sized Container Store purchase today, so I can't complain about him not being crazy about my bugs. He listens to me ramble on, but it's nice that there's a community of people just as crazy about these animals as I am.

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Not sure it counts as budgeting, But i basically pays the bills and buy essentials, then spend whatever is leftover and an embarrassingly large portion goes to tarantulas...

I am aware that tis is a terrible financial plan, but usually do it anyway... :bag:

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
I definitely can relate. Only have 6 right now and will be limited to one big shelf for some time, but collecting Ts is so addictive! I try to save some money for the next expo :D

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My wife and I allow ourselves a set amount of money each month to spend on entertainment and dates and such. Only got more tarantulas around 4-5 months ago, but lately that's where I've been putting most of mine. Always seem to need more enclosures or cork bark, or someone has recently posted new tarantulas I want.

I tend to save up a little for the actual spiders. Then I can get 4 or 5 without paying more in shipping. Probably why I've grown from 0 tarantulas to 14 in 4-5 months. One more purchase in the near future to get a few that I've been wanting and then I'm finished buying Ts for at least a year or two, I promise :devil:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
At this point (have 60 Ts) I buy very selectively. Money isn't really a factor...shelf space is. In a few years, a lot of my males will have passed away, and there will be more room, but for now I'm pretty much at capacity.

Minty

@londontarantulas
As above, money isn’t an issue. I don’t budget for them as I just use my disposable income, So I just get them when I want a new one. I’ve decided that I likely won’t be going over keeping ~50 of them though, as that’s roughly the amount that keeps me happy and doesn’t take up too much of my time.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I am bad with money, so no, I don't budget. Whenever I get an Xmas bonus, I spend some of it on spiders at the Reptile Super Show and order a bunch of stuff for my birthday, although I'm with Minty - about 50 is right, although I just ordered four more, so leaning more toward 60 now.

(I'm not counting all of the Kukulcania babies yet.)

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I think about sales and always watch deals so I have a good idea what things generally cost ..so when I spot some good deal I take it. I plan bigger purchases for holidays or future , like I am planning to get an acrylic enclosure for christmas which is months away but gives one of my spiders time to grow

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I spent way too much on spiders last year due to the excessive OT I had to work. This year I'll be more selective and probably cut my collection down to make room for more. Most of my money goes to bills, food, and household essentials. I don't have kids, car is older but paid for, and I haven't bought clothes in years (and when I do, it's the cheap comfy stuff). My "extra" money just goes to spiders and paying off my CC.

brightlight

Arachnopeon
I budget as well. I think it's like any other hobby. People keep money aside so they can take dance lessons, painting classes, buy new decorations for the house etc etc. All that fun stuff. Invert collections are the same as far as I'm concerned. It's something that I enjoy and makes me happy, so as long as I'm still able to pay for rent and food, there's nothing wrong with putting a little money aside to enjoy the hobby.

Twantula1215

Arachnopeon
I generally budget a couple hundred a month for "spending money". That being said, I look for steals and deal. I was fortunate enough back in January to come across a breeder that made me a sweet deal on a few slings.

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
I kinda downsized one of my hobbies to fund the tarantula hobby,so that was kinda my budget,sort of. My wife is pretty scared of spiders/tarantulas(but warming up) and she quickly put a limit of no more than 5(after seeing how large a collection can quickly get😂) so now it's just maintenance really,food which I keep for other animals as is so not alot of extra really.
Part of thing about selling it to her that they're cool to keep is the low month to month cost compared to our other hobby, like our saltwater tank when it was a full on reef.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I kinda downsized one of my hobbies to fund the tarantula hobby,so that was kinda my budget,sort of. My wife is pretty scared of spiders/tarantulas(but warming up) and she quickly put a limit of no more than 5(after seeing how large a collection can quickly get😂) so now it's just maintenance really,food which I keep for other animals as is so not alot of extra really.
Part of thing about selling it to her that they're cool to keep is the low month to month cost compared to our other hobby, like our saltwater tank when it was a full on reef.
Yeah, I like that they aren't an animal I'd probably have to get rid of if I had a change of income -- if I can't afford crickets, I would probably also be in a position where I'd have to sell them, I'm assuming. I am switching stuff up in my room to make space for some shelving, so I am trying to make a list of what I'd like to get this summer. Because I have not been cut off yet, I'm only really limited to money, since I won't run out of space for awhile. I am mostly planning on getting slings unless I find a decent deal on sexed females; I will get multiples of ones that I can afford. I also want some other inverts. So far I'm thinking:

Desert beetles and velvet ants (already have the enclosure for that)
One or two Phidippus regius
I'm also going to attempt to catch a couple of Prenolepis imparis queens and attempt to keep another colony

And as for tarantulas, my goal for this year is get:

Davus Penatloris (love the webbing)
Ephebopus murinus (gorgeous, and I love the idea of a fossorial)
Eupalastrus campestratus (that pink twinge is adorable)
Nhandu tripeppi (strawberry blonde and so much fluff!!)

I longterm goal of mine is to acquire as many species of Brachypelma and Tlitocatl as I can, but I'm considering waiting until I can find decently priced CB juveniles, as they're my favorite genus(es?) but take a really long time to show those lovely adult colors. I'm sure I'll grab some if I do online orders and run across a good price/decide I NEED a B albiceps, especially since I'm getting all this overtime. Another longterm goal is to get a G sp maule but I've never seen anyone with one outside of a John3800 video, so I don't know if that is even possible.

There is also a chance I will completely lose my mind and shell out for an AF 3"+ G pulchra. Absolutely my dream T, and one I'd prefer not to raise from a sling. I am expecting to make some extra money off of my side gig next month, and I am tempted to put a portion of it towards getting a G pulchra. In reality, I will probably just save it, but a gal can dream about dropping $400+ on a single T....

I mentioned before that I'm raising some GBB slings for the joy of it. I don't want to have more than one of these "projects" going on at once due being greedy and wanting more space for *me* but once all of them are rehomed, I am thinking about raising some A genics or B caboclas for the same reason. I simultaneously want big old tarantulas, but I really love seeing these slings grow and become those big old tarantulas.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
@aarachnid yep similar situation here. I've been doing a lot of OT lately and just last week I rewarded myself with online purchase of 4 T's, a ton of feeders and some new fancy tweezers/tongs.
Respect man, work hard and enjoy your hobbies and interests.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I'm working more this month than I did the past 3 months, so I'm trying to hold off on splurging on a new T right now. But I've definitely taken on extra shifts to validate the purchase of a spider I really want. But I see no issues in working extra to get some spiders! ;)