Work in progress

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright everybody, I wanted to compile a list of Tarantulas that listed common names and scientific names. So I have been working on it for a little while now, and this is what I have so far.

http://tarantuladb.webs.com/genusindex.htm

Most of my info I got from the wikipedia list and I'm researching everything and updating when I find something new. If any of you have any info (missing species, wrong common names, more common names, anything) let me know. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm also looking for species names such as:
sp. "New River"
sp. "Guyana"
sp. "concepcion"
etc.

Thanks for looking

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want it to be meaningful, you might want to start with standardized official names, which are not always the ones that appear on this discussion board. The "Committee on Common Names of Arachnids of the American Arachnological Society" has produced an official list of the Common Names of Arachnids. it can be found at http://www.atshq.org/articles/acn5.pdf. It is not completely up to date and does not include some of the species that have gained popularity in the past few years, so if you compile a list you may want to note which names are officially recognized and which are not.

I'm also looking for species names such as:
sp. "New River"
sp. "Guyana"
sp. "concepcion"
The "sp." designation is used because accurate species names have not been determined. In some cases the animals involved may be of described species but hobbyists have not keyed them out yet. In other cases the species may not have been formally described yet, or the group to which the species belongs is in the process of revision and the species to which the "sp." will be assigned is still in flux.

As you probably already know, Wikipedia is no more scientific than this board is. If you want real accuracy, go to good sources. Otherwise you may just be repeating someone else's misunderstandings.