Woops. Made a gap.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Alright, i tried to make my own lid out of plexiglass because all i had was screen. It snapped a little wrong and now theres a gap in one corner. Do i need to glue another piece to that corner and cover it or will it be ok?

Attachments

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
thats fine. long as it stays shut tight.
Yeah, its snug. I was worried about it being too thin, but i got the lenth good enough that anything with less strength than a toddler cant get it open.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
While we're here, though, what size bit should i use to drill the holes in the lid?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While we're here, though, what size bit should i use to drill the holes in the lid?
No wider than the carapace of the T (assuming it's a T- you didn't mention what's going in) going inside.

Without any info, can't give you anything more meaningful than the above, not a mind reader:cool:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
No wider than the carapace of the T (assuming it's a T- you didn't mention what's going in) going inside.

Without any info, can't give you anything more meaningful than the above, not a mind reader:cool:
Fair enough. I assumed tarantula was implied given the location of the question. Not sure which species yet, though. Its not a small tank, so it wont have anything like a sling. So about a 1/4 inch should work? Maybe an 1/8?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fair enough. I assumed tarantula was implied given the location of the question. Not sure which species yet, though. Its not a small tank, so it wont have anything like a sling. So about a 1/4 inch should work? Maybe an 1/8?
I don't assume people know where to post questions, because plenty do not. Right @Venom1080 ? ;)

I'd go with an 1/8", but again depends on the size feeders. You don't want prey escaping either, some people forget that.

I typically don't use large holes because tarantulas will put their legs through the holes to explore, slings do it as well. It's a risk I don't take anymore. I had a pair of Avics that were quite the curious sacmates, always put the legs through.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I don't assume people know where to post questions, because plenty do not. Right @Venom1080 ? ;)

I'd go with an 1/8", but again depends on the size feeders. You don't want prey escaping either, some people forget that.

I typically don't use large holes because tarantulas will put their legs through the holes to explore, slings do it as well. It's a risk I don't take anymore. I had a pair of Avics that were quite the curious sacmates, always put the legs through.
Actually didnt even consider feeders. Thanks for the insight!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

A tarantula will usually find their way out within a week. They're exploratory like that :cigar:

Doesn't mean they can't find a way out later, though.

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
As long as it's not a small T, which you already stated it isn't going to be, then I don't think the hole will be an issue. Aside from, like others have stated, the fact that prey could get out and the that the T might stick it's legs through. Which sounds totally adorable but it can never just be that way with these creatures, they'll always find some way for it to become an issue!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Actually didnt even consider feeders. Thanks for the insight!
I made that mistake once. One of my first enclosures had not enough ventilation, so I made larger holes in it. It took me three feedings to realize where those pesky crickets were coming from....all the while my husband kept complaining about the noise (crickets were adult males mostly since I used to feed them up first to reduce the noise).
Whoopsie...:bucktooth: :D

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I typically don't use large holes because tarantulas will put their legs through the holes to explore, slings do it as well. It's a risk I don't take anymore.
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the risk? That the legs get stuck? That they scrape along a sharp edge? That some human won't be able to resist touching their cute little feet?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the risk? That the legs get stuck? That they scrape along a sharp edge? That some human won't be able to resist touching their cute little feet?
While I file down all holes I drill, I truly don't know how sharp it is to their exoskeleton. Stuck leg too is something that is possible, but perhaps not probable. In short, wherever there is risk I minimize or eliminate it, particularly if it's something we don't have knowledge about. It's not worth it to me. I spend years raising up slings, that's a lot of time when you think about it, I don't feel like wasting my time with husbandry methods that I perceive to be risky.