Woodies?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello everybody. This is a new thread, quite similiar to the one titled : Moths, mostly. Because I try not to load too many different questions in one question/topic, because it makes answers less. So, with this introductionary speech, I give you the Question :

What are Woodies? This feeder-dealer that I'm gonna try ordering from has a culture of 'woodies' for sale, because they won't be selling them anymore. I don't think they know their name except 'woodies', if that now is a common common name. Anyway, they're appearantly small cockroaches that can climb glass. More than that though, I don't know..only other thing I found scouring the net was that they were more considered a big termite than a pest-species, and that might be a contradiction in itself. They can't fly, I've also seen hinted at. They might also be of Australian origin. So, anyone ?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likley, they are a species of wood-feeding cockroach. These are often called "wood roaches" here in the states. Generally, they are harmless, as they only feed on wood that has already started to rot. There are several species here in the US, but chances are yours are different.

Cockroaches and termites are considered by some to be closely related, so it's not surprising that they might be confused.

Wade

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, so would they be a potential pest, meaning ,if a few got away, would they be able to breed and so ? :/ Since I'm living in a dorm(it isn't really a dorm, it's more like a cross between a flat and a dorm, but I tried calling it 'corridor' (as it is called in swedish) in front of some americans and they thereby found it very funny to ask how it was living in a doorway and stuff like that) I can't imagine that would be popular.
And how do they look? If they might be confused with termites, I sure wanna se one :)

Last edited:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
could be a Parcoblatta sp. of roach, none of which are house infesting, and they will feed on cat/dog food or rat chow. not just wood

I have also heard of some Blaberus sp. being called wood roaches, but they can not climb glass.

sounds like they most likely are a Parcoblatta sp.

hope that helps.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, thanks , that made it a whole lot easier. I wonder how fast they reproduce?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So today I called this breeder of doomed insects again and..well, he had quite a lot to say about 'woodies' and the people who will sell them...he said they breed like hell and are really quick to escape, whereafter they'll breed anywhere, i.e infest the house..so since it Seemed as if though he'd put a dead bird on my doorstep instead of sending me the 'woodies' he said he could order, so I said never mind. Anyway, is there some sort of roach that I can get in Europe, that will neither burrow nor take over my (communal) house?
So hard to find something that both grown up arboreals and terrestrials will eat that isn't crickets. Locusts are crazy, so I don't count those. Besides, my Avic avic is terrified of them.