Wooden Enlosures?

TRection

Arachnoknight
Has anyone made or used a wooden and plexie glass enclosure for their Ts? Im just curious about it and whether or not its a good idea. I built the enclosures for both my ball python and beardie so i would love to do the same for my T, on a smaller scale of course (both tanks are 4x2x2Feet half of the top is mesh where the heating/lighting go and the front is full sliding plexie glass doors) :)

15775.jpg 10587.jpg

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Has anyone made or used a wooden and plexie glass enclosure for their Ts? Im just curious about it and whether or not its a good idea. I built the enclosures for both my ball python and beardie so i would love to do the same for my T, on a smaller scale of course (both tanks are 4x2x2Feet half of the top is mesh where the heating/lighting go and the front is full sliding plexie glass doors) :)

View attachment 238189 View attachment 238187
Depends on the kind of wood you use. Some wood has natural qualities that effect bugs of most kinds negatively. Negative effects including, but not limited to, simply repelling them and killing them.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Depends on the kind of wood you use. Some wood has natural qualities that effect bugs of most kinds negatively. Negative effects including, but not limited to, simply repelling them and killing them.
Oh damn i didnt know that could happen! and as for the wood i normally just use 1/2 or 1" plywood sheets.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Oh damn i didnt know that could happen! and as for the wood i normally just use 1/2 or 1" plywood sheets.
Plywood is usually a composite of several different kinds. Not something i would personally risk, but with research you might be able to find some that wouldnt hurt

TRection

Arachnoknight
Plywood is usually a composite of several different kinds. Not something i would personally risk, but with research you might be able to find some that wouldnt hurt
Ok cool, ill defiantly look into it more before i do it, wont be any time soon anyways just curious :) thanks alot

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Invertebrates may be more sensitive to chemicals. If you can find a wood that is formaldehyde free etc, that would probably be fine. I don't see why that setup wouldn't work for a species that likes a dry climate. If you get one that likes it humid I could see some challenge with the wood getting moist. Another thing would be to just use the wood as a frame but plexi glass for all the walls? You obviously have the skill to make these ones so, it probably wouldn't be much different to skip the wood walls entirely.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Invertebrates may be more sensitive to chemicals. If you can find a wood that is formaldehyde free etc, that would probably be fine. I don't see why that setup wouldn't work for a species that likes a dry climate. If you get one that likes it humid I could see some challenge with the wood getting moist. Another thing would be to just use the wood as a frame but plexi glass for all the walls? You obviously have the skill to make these ones so, it probably wouldn't be much different to skip the wood walls entirely.
Ok cool ill have to shop around to find the safest wood i can find just cuz i like the look of a wooden tank, as for the moister ill probably do the same as i have in my current tanks, both the ground and the walls up to the substrate level have a layer of thick plastic so the wood doesn't soak anything up :)

boina

Lady of the mites
I use enclosures like that made from OSB and sealed on the inside with toy approved varnish and I've used those enclosures for years. It works well for species who like it dry or slightly moist (since the wood is sealed) but I havent tried species that need some serious moisture.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
DO NOT USE ANY WOOD THAT IS PART OF THE CEDAR FAMILY.

Nice looking cages, build for your Ts!!

TRection

Arachnoknight
DO NOT USE ANY WOOD THAT IS PART OF THE CEDAR FAMILY.

Nice looking cages, build for your Ts!!
Would the table im placing the T's enclosure on also effect anything? Its a wooden desk, its not chipboard but im not sure what kind of wood it is, thats probably a stupid question but i would rather be safe than sorry in this regard, i honestly had no idea that types of wood can danger Ts.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would the table im placing the T's enclosure on also effect anything? Its a wooden desk, its not chipboard but im not sure what kind of wood it is, thats probably a stupid question but i would rather be safe than sorry in this regard, i honestly had no idea that types of wood can danger Ts.
Shouldn't be an issue, no direct contact.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Shouldn't be an issue, no direct contact.
Ok thats good to hear, thank you for your help :) ill probably just go the safe route and stay away from using wood all together. Acrylic or glass is that way to go i guess, Ill build it myself though haha. Most of the sites i have seen have them for $150 and up and that's not even with shipping, so im better off doing it myself.