Wood Sealant?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is there a safe sealant to use on wood to use with tarantulas?

I'm mainly thinking enclosures sides to keep the humidity from warping them, but it could be used to deal anything more 'pourus' I guess...

I'm thinking something like Polycrylic, water based. Any thoughts?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Ive searched far and wide for the answer to this.. I didn't have the guts to try anything though. I ended up buying 1" thick waterproof plywood used for boats.. I have posted this question to vivarium section about 3 years ago and got some answers. I will try to find it for you when I get home.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

I'm mainly thinking enclosures sides to keep the humidity from warping them, but it could be used to deal anything more 'pourus' I guess...

I'm thinking something like Polycrylic, water based. Any thoughts?
I'm not sure but I saw a keeper use clear contact paper once in a custom wood enclosure. He then sealed the seems with a light bead of food grade silicone.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure but I saw a keeper use clear contact paper once in a custom wood enclosure. He then sealed the seems with a light bead of food grade silicone.
Do you think this would sag or delaminate over time?

I suppose on this same principle, I could use some 1/32" acrylic to line it too.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon

Resolene. Water soluble, apply with a brush or a sprayer. Will take 3-5 days to dry, each coat. Once dry you can buff lightly with a soft cloth to give a satin sheen if you want. On wood, I'd use 3 coats, on leather 1 coat is sufficient. I've used this for many years, durable, won't crack and doesn't yellow over time. Can be purchased through Tandy Leather Co. A 4oz. bottle (about $6), mixed 50/50 w/h water can cover roughly 80 square feet using a spray gun.

Pic is my gunslinger rig that I made 12 years ago and is still waterproof. Over 60 hours invested from raw leather to completion, so a durable and waterproof finish was a "must". It works on leather so why not on wood, both will absorb a little, but to be expected with porous material.

Attachments

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
@Red Eunice Have you tried this, perchance, with your Ts?
No. I've yet to use wood for a T enclosure.

Suggested the resolene since the overspray area on my wood work table is now waterproof.

30 some years ago when I kept large lizards, pythons and boas, varathane (sp.?) was used as a sealer. I wouldn't use this now, there are many water soluble alternatives available nowadays. Whatever you use make sure its a low or no V.O.C. material, less likely to be harmful.