Wondering about wandering jew

Turfrantula

Arachnopeon
Is wandering jew plant toxic to Ts?

Ive had this jew in my house and have take many cuttings from it for Lord only knows how long. Id like to incorporate live plants in my enclosures. I know terrestrial ts are going to rip it to shreds so it will most likely be in an arboreal enclosure. Ive let it get pretty dry a few times and kept it in low light and it seems hardy. As always any and all info is appreciated. Thanks

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It's unlikely to cause any problems with a tarantula. Tarantulas aren't going to eat the plant, and even if they did it's not going to cause harm, at least as far as I'm aware.

Many people keep this plant in with frogs/reptiles/etc.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
No known toxins but->
"Some members of the genus Tradescantia may cause allergic reactions in pets (especially cats and dogs) characterised by red, itchy skin. Notable culprits include T. albiflora (Scurvy Weed), T. spathacea (Moses In The Cradle), and T. pallida (Purple Heart)."
It seems unlikely exoskeletal animals would be prone to urticaria as it is an interaction between an iiritant and the immune system confined to the dermal layers, especially the dermis, mostly in mammals.

Last edited:

Whiplash Girlchild

Arachnopeon
I would say go for it, beautiful color and shape, however, it does grow fairly quickly and it all directions, might be hard to maintain or prune in a terrarium.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I have seen these used in many terrarium builds. Compared to Pothos, less invasive and grows lower. Getting ready to try some myself

Crap! Just saw how old this is.....