Woman killed by her pet camel in Australia

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=287506

From NINE MSN:

"A pet camel that killed a 60-year-old woman in Queensland's outback was a birthday present from her family, police say.

The woman's body was found on their sheep and cattle property near Mitchell, about 600 kilometres west of Brisbane, about 6.30pm (AEST) on Saturday.

Police said the camel had knocked her to the ground, stomped on her and then lain down on top of her.

They said the 10-month-old pet had a history of bizarre behaviour - it had attempted to suffocate the family's pet goat on numerous occasions.

Roma police Detective Senior Sergeant Craig Gregory said the victim's husband was "devastated".

"The camel was actually a 60th birthday present that he and his daughter got her in March," he said.

"She had a love of exotic pets."

Det Snr Sgt Gregory said the victim, who had yet to be formally identified, had been knocked over by the camel, which then "rolled around the ground a bit".

He said the woman had suffered "one definite footprint" on one side of her face and one on her arm.

"I'd say it's probably been playing or it may be even a sexual sort of thing, you wouldn't know," Det Snr Sgt Gregory said.

"It's either smothered her or brought on a (heart) turn."

Det Snr Sgt Gregory said the husband suspected something was amiss when he returned home to find the camel wandering around the backyard.

"She had tea on, and a cup of tea was in the kitchen," he said.

"She was just doing her afternoon chores of feeding all the other animals.

"She hadn't been there very long until he got home."

Det Snr Sgt Gregory said the animal had tried to smother other farm animals by sitting on them.

"It had a bit of a habit with a goat, knocking it over and sort of straddling it and laying on top of it," he said.

"It's been chased off the goat a few times."

Det Snr Sgt Gregory said the family had intended giving the woman a llama or an alpaca for her birthday, but decided they were too expensive.

"It (the camel) was only young and it had been hand reared," Det Snr Sgt Gregory said.

"It drinks out of a bottle and eats out of your hand."

A post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out early this week."

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's a camel, I dont see why it would get along with goats. And camels are strong and sometimes like to run around kicking their legs, they are like horses when they kick. Although some camels can be gentle, not all camels are like that. It was growing bigger and didnt realize its own strength. Not to mention it was a male, which are more aggressive when reaching maturity.

I see nothing bizarre about its behavior.

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't see why you would want to keep a camel with goats, no wonder it was insain. Goats tender to bite and nip each other which is fine if you are a goat, but for a camel or horse this drives them insain. Some goats are nice but for the most part they will still nip from time to time. I am not gunna rag on a goat fro being a goat.
Horse and Camels are very sensitive to this nipping and become defensive and some times will have panic attacks when they feel a goat is near them. When i worked with horses this condition was called "Nip Anxiety" it is a panic attack when a horse feels or thinks it is going to be niped. Camels are twice as sensitive as horses so anything even the grass brushing agaist its legs may have triggerd this response. Crasyness
but at the same time any large animal can kill ya. You have to be careful.:rolleyes:

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The camel probably had "atypical" behavior because it is a social species that was being isolated in captivity alongside goats and humans - two animals it has nothing in common with. Like most isolated social animals, it probably practiced natural behavior wherever it could, and developed abnormal or aggressive behaviors as well. Camels are large, intelligent, herding animals; it just isn't safe to keep one if you aren't going to keep it correctly. I feel bad for the woman, but I hope people learn from this and start giving animals the respect and the life they need instead of trying to make every creature out there into a dog or cat.

ta2edpop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heard they will crawl into your babies crib at night a suck the breath out of them.

Would it not be cute to pair it up with that cat who pedicts when old folks will pass on. NOW THAT WOULD BE GOOD T.V.!!!!!!:clap:

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I heard they will crawl into your babies crib at night a suck the breath out of them.

Would it not be cute to pair it up with that cat who pedicts when old folks will pass on. NOW THAT WOULD BE GOOD T.V.!!!!!!
What in the _ _ _ _?

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol, homicidal camels and cats prophesizing death of the elderly, two things I'd never thought I'd be reading on this webpage :eek:

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok i know i shouldnt be but im LMFAO.. thats jus how i wanna go sat on by a freakin camel omfg i dont even wanna know what they put on the poor womans tombstone.