Wolfdogs

PK952

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone

Just thought Id share a little about the newest addition to the family, a wolfdog puppy named Nata. She is out of my beautiful siberian husky, Aleu who was bred to a handsome and charming pure timber wolf. I bred her, raised her, and chose her to join our family due to her amazing good looks and her superior disposition! Yes, that was bragging, lol. She is 5 months old, growing steadily and full of personality.

Just curious, are there any others here on AB that have decided to share their homes with a wolfdog? They are truly a unique animal, very intelligent, stubborn, and totally charming...if you can get past the "quirks" as we shall call them :D Any fellow WD people here?

Attachments

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have kept both pure wolves and mid-to-high-content wolf dogs. Me, personally, I preferred the pure wolves. All of the behavioral issues in the wolfdogs were due directly to the DOG genes and mirrored similar behaviors that are typical of those breeds used. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that there are a LOT of "wolfdogs" and even so-called "pure" wolves which have no more wolf genes in them than the average Doberman or Chihuahua! It's very easy to concoct a mixed-breed dog that looks very "wolfy", using the right combination of Arctic breeds, German Shepherd, Belgian Shepherd, Collie or other herding breeds. Thing is, they will exhibit behaviors that are NOT typical of wolves or high-content wolf-dogs, like protecting people or property, for instance, or barking to warn of intruders, so when those dogs pass on, the owner decides to replace them, and THIS time winds up with the Real Deal, only to be very disappointed by its skittish nature, fear of strange objects/people, silent treatment when strangers approach, etc.

Of course, as with "pit bulls", there is a lot of negative stereotyping with these animals, and many places have BSL against them or dogs that look even slightly "wolfy". Many vets refuse to treat them, and most homeowner's insurance providers won't insure a property which has a "wolfdog" on it. Those are all things you have to take into consideration.

pitbulllady

Lois64

Arachnopeon
I love it, especially your white dog! I got a pomeranian mixed breed, which kinda looks like a fox :D