Wolf Spiders

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My husband and i are both interested in getting a few wolf spiders, but i cant find any information on husbandry of them, if any one could give me information i would appreciate it. I need to know housing size, food type, feeding regiment, substrate, plants/decor usable, water form (bowl, sponge, or crystals?) and any other information you might think i need to know, and any good locations to gain more knowlage before i even attempt to get one.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Never use a sponge unless washing dishes.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Put that because my aunt used sponges for her old arachnids, i never thought it was a smart idea. But better to ask and be safe then to not ask and be sorry later.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok i finally found a care sheet, hear it is, tell me if its suitable or if you have any other suggestions.

Container: A wolf spider needs only a few square inches of space. A small (1 pint) mason jar or similar container is large enough for most wolf spiders. A 2.5 gallon aquarium would also make a very attractive home for a large wolf spider. Make sure to have an escape-proof lid that provides some ventilation. Be aware that wolf spiders are very fast: whenever their cage is opened, they will try to escape. Be ready for an escape by opening a wolf spider cage within another, larger container.

Housing Features: Line a wolf-spider habitat with an inch or so of moist garden soil that is free of pesticides and fertilizers. Also add a few large, dried leaves, chunks of bark, of pieces of moss for the spider to hide under during the day.

Food: Wolf spiders will feed on almost any living insect or worm that is about 1/2 their own body length. Houseflies, small moths, and caterpillars are usually easy to find outdoors. "Pinhead" crickets, as sold in most pet stores, make especially good prey. One small prey item every other day is sufficient for most wolf spiders. Large species may eat up to one small prey item per day. Make sure not to feed the wolf spider wasps, bees, other spiders, or anything else that might injure the spider. Never leave live prey in with the spider if the prey isn't attacked within a few minutes -- even a small cricket can potentially injure a wolf spider if the spider doesn't attack first.

Water: Wolf spiders will get most of the water that they need from their prey, but will benefit from a daily cage misting. Although it is good for their habitat to be humid, do not allow it to be sopping wet.

Temperature: room temperature or warmer, up to about 80 degrees F.

Life span: up to 3+ years, depending on species.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi Ookamii! :)

I have kept Wolfies of all different sizes-and I always provide a lot of space for them. They are, for the most part, nocturnal wanderers. My biggest Wolfies (Hognas) were housed in the largest KK's I could find. In addition to the included lids for the KK's, I also cover the top with nylon pantyhose secured with rubberbands. The ventilated cover goes on top of this. Ample space is very important for Wolfs.

For the substrate I mix sand/peat moss/white "river rocks" (small). I tried different mixes, and this one seems most liked by ALL my Wolfs. :) I use fake plants with bigger leaves, and I arrange these so the leaves lay on or very near the substrate. If a large KK is used, I fill this half full, as they will want to burrow/hide. I place a flat rock/stone into the substrate at an angle, and make a "starter burrow" for the spider to find. 99.9% of the time your Wolf will use this to build a tunnel. Be sure to leave a flat area somewhere near the stone. I have observed my bigger Wolfs like a flat place to eat their prey, and females will use it to make and roll their sacs. I also would provide a curved thick that runs lengthwise in the KK. My male Hogna loved his so much, he built an very nice "hide" under the thicker end. :clap:

Water: VERY VERY important! No sponges. :embarrassed: I use a small glass shallow dish (actually a new ashtray) with some of the white rocks in the bottom. Contrary to what many believe or what is written... Wolfs drink a LOT of water. Once a week I mist the substrate so it gets a little moisture on the top. You don't want to get the tunnel wet.

Food: My Hognas only get ground-dwelling prey, such as crickets, grubs, small roaches, nearly anything that you find on the ground. Crickets should be no bigger than half the spider's length, and IMO should be removed after an HOUR if not captured. I have seen firsthand the damage done to spiders by crickets left in with the spider. Waxworms are a great treat for them, but don't feed these often.

Always provide good ventilation. I keep a small fan near the enclosures to help with this. Temperatures? As many in AB will say: If YOU are comfortable, so is/are your spider(s).

Also, if you know what species your Wolfs are, study their preferred habitat, and build an enclosure to closely match it.

I hope this helps somewhat. All my Wolfies have done extremely well, and the females all produced sacs. Currently I am raising 2 slings-one I got from his/her Momma's back, and a younger one from that same Momma's abandoned sac. You wouldn't believe how great they are! :D

That reminds me... I must make ready a new KK... when I complete it, I will post pics for you to see. Good luck with yours! :clap::clap::clap: S.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for the info! i also sent you a PM Silberrücken

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Aha.... Dayton TEXAS.... boy do I feel stoopiddddd....... :wall::wall::wall:

I just saw your location... :8o:8o:8o

Time to go to bed, I think.... :8o LOL S.