Wolf spiders and webs

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok so suposedly their is only one type of wolf spider that makes a web....does anyone know which one or is that just a myth??:confused:

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok i'll try to explain:
A friend of mine has some aloe vera plants, there are webs on them and they form a funnel going into the plants. the funnel starts at about 6" wide and tapers down to maybe 1-1.5". there are about 4-6 of these webs in close procsimity of each other. She said those are wolf spider webs. but I was under the impression that all wolf spiders except for one did not spin a web. I'll try and get pics next week of the webs for you all.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok i'll try to explain:
A friend of mine has some aloe vera plants, there are webs on them and they form a funnel going into the plants. the funnel starts at about 6" wide and tapers down to maybe 1-1.5". there are about 4-6 of these webs in close procsimity of each other. She said those are wolf spider webs. but I was under the impression that all wolf spiders except for one did not spin a web. I'll try and get pics next week of the webs for you all.
its a funnel web spider probably. AS far as i know they (the one species of wolf spiders)only make webs in to hide in when they arent hunting and do not catch prey wiht a web at all
check this out
http://www.everythingabout.net/arti...rthropods/arachnids/spiders/funnelweb_spider/

Last edited:

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats what I told her it may be...i'm gonna try and see if I can get one to come out but she gets kinda weird about anyone messing with her plants.
Well thanks.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agelenopsis spp. look a little big like wolf spiders, except they're kind of pretty. Put a cricket or something on a web, then when it rushes out to get it, drop a little ball into the funnel, plugging it. Then you can collect the spider.

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Agelenopsis spp. look a little big like wolf spiders, except they're kind of pretty. Put a cricket or something on a web, then when it rushes out to get it, drop a little ball into the funnel, plugging it. Then you can collect the spider.
Wow, that guy wants to look like Lycosa rabida.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pulk said:
Wow, that guy wants to look like Lycosa rabida.
You got it backwards.

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You got it backwards.
Well maybe I do or maybe he wants to look like him so he doesn't mess with him or the other guy wants to look like him so he can eat him...:?
I'd ask them but me no talkie spider. {D