Wolf Spider

Daveyig

Arachnopeon
I have lived in the same house since 2012, and this is the first year that I have seen these in high numbers. I caught one last year, but that was it. I caught this one a couple of weeks ago, and have seen dozens since then. They have all been slightly smaller. I did catch one tonight that was bigger than this one, but she will not hold still for pics. I will try to get some tomorrow. My daughter named her (?) Wolfy.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I have lived in the same house since 2012, and this is the first year that I have seen these in high numbers. I caught one last year, but that was it. I caught this one a couple of weeks ago, and have seen dozens since then. They have all been slightly smaller. I did catch one tonight that was bigger than this one, but she will not hold still for pics. I will try to get some tomorrow. My daughter named her (?) Wolfy.

Looks like a cute Rabidosa rabida -- a rabid wolf spider. Have fun with them and tell your daughter she has excellent taste in names!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, it's not a rabid wolf spider. The rabid wolf spider's scientific name is Rabidosa rabida, this one is a Schizocosa sp. Don't think they have a common name.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Arrrrrrgh! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm NEVER GOING TO LEARN THESE THINGS.
It's easy. Just go here and start memorizing. Don't forget to reserve a room with soft walls in pastel colors for when your brain starts to melt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lycosidae_species
Oh yes, a lot of what you memorize will probably be incorrect come the year 2035 or so when they get the lions share of the Lycos genetically IDed.

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
It's easy. Just go here and start memorizing. Don't forget to reserve a room with soft walls in pastel colors for when your brain starts to melt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lycosidae_species
Oh yes, a lot of what you memorize will probably be incorrect come the year 2035 or so when they get the lions share of the Lycos genetically IDed.
More screaming if pastels are around. The padded walls sound great.
Really, I'll hit that link after I'm done with housework. Thanks.