Wolf Spider Webbing

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
So I caught this wolf spider roaming around my house a couple weeks ago, and decided to give him a home=). From what I've read, since wolf spiders are wandering hunters, I heard they don't web. However, the one I have, has webbed a little bit in a corner of his enclosure, any feedback?

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my Rabidosa rabida ive had for 2 molts (i think female) has made some tripline style webbing across the floor of her enclosure. there are no hides or anything in it.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolf spiders don't build an orb web but they certainly use silk as draglines, for eggsacs, to store uneaten prey, and like you observed, to web up a little home. I imagine the extent and style of webbing varies between species. How extensive is this web? Most wolf spiders that I have seen simply web up a little tube or pocket for a home base unless they are tunnel diggers.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never kept a wolf, but jumpers (another non-webbing hunting type) will make a little 'sleeping bag' to rest in- this may be what your spider is doing. Also, i believe that they will make a web pocket to retreat to when molting.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Wolf Spider and Webs

We own two female Wolf Spiders and both of them have made minor webs on the floors of their homes; which is a sign of "molting", by the way. If your little guy is forming a web-like enclosure on the floor of his "home", he might be preparing to molt, make sure to spray his "home" with a spray bottle to keep it hydrated and humid in there, as it's important for his molting process. Don't over-do it though, just in the morning and once before bed. We live in Central FL so the species of Wolf Spider you found could be different. Do you have a picture of the spider? Or a picture of it's web? That would be much more helpful, good luck with your new Wolfiie! :)

Wheezy

Arachnopeon
I will try to take a picture, it's nothing big but just a little webbing. My camera's horrible though, so I don't know if I'll be able to, its particularly bad at up close pictures.