Wolf Spider Photos

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I recently returned from yet another long trip involving hard days of beer drinking, herp wrangling, and spider catching! Anyhow Im getting around to my pics finally. Here are some of the cooler spiders.

I found these rather larger wolf spiders occupying an old rock quarry by the hundreds. They were very cool, and had chestnut "hairy" abdomens.

Another cool spider that I found commonly along the Lake Erie shore.

This was a unique find for me. It has a stockier appearance with stubbier legs and she dropped an egg sac now.

Yet another wolf spider. Im gonna update some jumpers and other true spiders in the days to come. If you have an ID ideas on these lemme know.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics. Number 3 has some great color. What's her leg span?

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The third one is not very big. Its leg span is probably right around an inch, but it is a really beautiful spider and it has a different attitude about it than most wolf spiders.

The other cool thing, the first spider pictured were found in mass numbers out there. Whenever I spooked one they would dive and completely submerge themselves under the water, and one female went egg sac and all into a tunnel under a rock that was completely submerged. It was very neat to see.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
By "different attitude", do you mean less skittish?

The third one is not very big. Its leg span is probably right around an inch, but it is a really beautiful spider and it has a different attitude about it than most wolf spiders.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kind of yeah, its much more prone to turn and defend itself, where as the rest of my Lycosid species (5 other species min) are runners and hiders. It just carries itself differently too.