Wolf spider eggsac

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are a few pics of a wolf spider I had caught a few weeks ago. I hadn't planned on keeping her but it was neat to watch her attack crickets and be so much more active than a T. Recently she made an egg sac (fertile?) and now I think it would be cool to see the eggs hatch. Right now I have her in a tea buckets with small holes in the top and on peat moss. What else can she use and what type of environment/substrate should I keep her in/on?

Attachments

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What I have to say is that the slings will be super-duper-truper-TINY.
I had one that made an eggsack (See the vid on my site: www.geocities.com/genious_gr) and they climbed on her. She died a few days later (she didnt eat) and I kinda lost all the slings as I didnt know what to do (plus I couldnt catch them all). Someone told me to use dead crickets.
So, good luck.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey

A while back( a very long time like 4 years when I wasn't into Ts but really into spiders in my back yard) I had the same problem.

I got a Wild Caught female from my yard, I had her for a while and then suddenly layed an egg sac.

The slings are so small! and I didn't know what to do so I released them into the wild along with the mom.

any ways are you going to keep the slings if infact the egg sac is fertile?

have a nice day

geo

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know they usually crawl on the Mom's back from the hundreds of pictures I've seen of wolf spiders but what kind of numbers are we talking about...200, 400, etc. If you think they have a better chance of surviving in the wild maybe I ought to let them go.

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi! I'm a keeper and student of Lycosidae (wolf spiders).
I keep many species and I never had too much problems with the youngs.
Yes, they are quite tiny, bt also very aggressive and very often I saw some of them eating preys twice thier body size.
They also eat just dead animals, so you can try also in this way...
I give them just hatched crickets and little Drosophila.
Sometimes they don't eat for some time after they descend from the back of their mother, but you can give them food and they'll decide the right moment to begin...
Keep the youngs in a more humid environnment than their mother, they need a little more humidity..
Regards!
Emanuele