Wolf Spider - Egg Case Q

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Hogna georgicola who laid an eggsac a several weeks ago. She was carying it around until a few days ago. Now it is at the bottom of her burrow - no damage visible.

Is it a dud?

Note - She was wild caught back in December

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

It is likely that it is infertile or the eggs died off because of a fungal infection. I've had this happen several times with wolfspiders I caught.
None off the abandoned eggsacs had developed larvae inside, when I opened them, the eggs were always in various stages of decay or covered with mould.
Another possibility is parasitation, some Ichneumonid wasps lay their eggs into wolf spider eggsacs.
Try to take it away and open it with a scalpell, if the eggs look okay or have developed to prelarvae or larvae, you can still try and incubate them.
I have no experience with this particular species, but have raised other wolfspiders from eggsacs collected in the field, in absence of their mother individual.

greets
Bernhard

Helio

Arachnopeon
I don't know, but some ( or all, as i said i dont know) of lycosids carry their offspring in the abdomen or cefalotorax, so i don't know if these species develop without the mamma

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Opened up the case to a mix of dried eggs and dead spiderlings. I believe I let the habitat get too dry. Substrate should have been kept damp and misting should have been done.